Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

True or false: quitting is the hardest thing you have ever done

Notices
View Poll Results: True or false: quitting is the hardest thing you have ever done
True: quitting is the hardest thing I've ever done
28.75%
False: something else has been more difficult
71.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I considered this question recently and kind of surprised myself by answering "false."

Not to say that sobriety is easy, of course....

But I went through a period during my training that took every kind of emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual resource to get through, and I look back on that as actually more difficult than quitting alcohol.

I wonder if I am in the minority on this...
Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MTD

Quitting was hard not because of giving up alcohol but all of the changes that are happening in my head and body. Realizing that indeed I am an alcoholic really sobered me up!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Living life sober after having been a drinker for fifteen years... that is the hardest thing. Quitting was pretty easy really. The nine years leading up to the quitting were pretty hard at times. So... no, the quitting wasn't the hardest. What was hardest was trying to function in life as an alcoholic... and now, flipping the coin... trying to learn how to function happily as a sober person... that is hard at times.

But to answer this poll in the best way... I'll probably choose "True" because in retrospect, I can't think of anything in my life that was so hard as facing an addiction honestly, and then deciding it wasn't ok to continue in that addiction, and being ready and willing to do whatever it took to get and stay sober.

The only thing I can think of that was harder was having to tell the doctor to take my alcoholic mother off life support and say goodbye to her. Ah, well... there's my answer Guess it's "false" after all.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

1- telling my little boy that his mom died in a car wreck

2- losing my wife

3- getting and staying sober
Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

True Not a doubt in my mind & I survived a coma; having to relearn everything, walk, talk, writing.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drank from the age of thirteen, and everyday from seventeen till my forties.

I have not lived as an adult without alcohol for any substantial length of time.

It's certainly been interesting. But I don't know if its been hard or just necessary, because I was at the end and it was quit or die.

I think drinking myself to death would have been worse. It's really ******* hard to be an addict.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I *might* have answered different at the time, but now no.

Getting sober and staying that way has been hard, no doubt - but honestly?

I've had a life full of struggle and frankly other things have been harder.

D
Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Surrendering to my higher power on 11-12-12, came quick and out of "Nowhere". What I thought would be impossible came very easy to me.

The hardest to live through was the daily DENIAL by thinking I was in control, by thinking I wasn't hurting anybody but myself, the lies of my thinking. So my vote on this poll: False, something else was harder, that something was me.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rather a pointless survey IMHO - is dying easier than quitting drinking?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me, yes. Admitting you have a problem, readjusting your friendships, trying not to scare the living hell out of your family and loved ones, getting through the early stages of withdrawal, being terrified of seizures, and staying sober long term all add up to be being the hardest things for me.

But it's definately worth it.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I answered "No")
Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A difficult question to answer because to me, quitting isn't necessarily a single event-it's an ongoing event and a whole change of lifestyle. Sometimes it's hard,sometimes it's not so hard. Interesting question though
Old 08-13-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Quitting smoking was much harder!
Old 08-13-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Getting sober isn't easy but compared to my post-partum depression, with the panic attacks, derealization, depersonalization, and all the other scary stuff that comes with it...yeah, I have to say "false".

June
Old 08-13-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used to think having to leave my first boyfriend of 7 years was the hardest thing I'd ever gone through. Now, three years later, having to break up with my now bf because our binge drinking emotionally destroyed us and is physically destroying me, having to leave my house and live with a friend I barely know, going through withdrawals and feeling ill constantly. .... I'd say dealing with living with this demon has got to be worse than living without it. We shall see.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I voted false. For me, quitting has been easy and I have done it a lot; no withdrawal issues, no cravings and no major life problems resulting from alcohol. Quitting smoking was a lot more difficult. But, and this is a big but, making the changes in me needed to stay sober is one of the most challenging projects I have undertaken: it is a project that has occupied me for nearly 40 years now. I have been mostly successful, thank God, but there have been enough humbling failures to keep me reminded of my fallability.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I thought completing degrees in comp sci and electrical engineering was hard. I didn't know what hard was until I tried to get sober. Years to get in, years to get out. That would be a big "True" for me.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No half measures

Quiting while difficult was not impossible. Staying quit is work every day. It is good work and rewarding but it is hard work. I plan on continuing to do the work necessary to stay sober today with the goal of dieing sober
Old 08-13-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I answered 'false' as well. (So far) quitting drinking has been far easier than I ever thought it would be - and the physical and emotional benefits have really served to boost my motivation. But dealing with food issues? Oh, boy, that's way, way harder .
Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

I've no idea yet, because my journey has only just really begun. Not even in double digits yet.