Notices

I would like support - I'm about to start 'S' day

Old 08-12-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I would like support - I'm about to start 'S' day

Hi whoever reads this.

I 'stumbled' across this site last night when looking for answers on google for my 'swollen face' and found an amazing thread here that was 8 years old. Yes, there it was in black and white. I already knew the answer deep down but didn't want to truly admit it to myself..... I was an alcoholic.

I always hated that word alcoholic as it always conjured up images of crinkly old women with deep raspy voices; a cigarette in one hand and a straight scotch in the other. You might laugh at that but I feared that image.

I've never been a drinker really apart from socially from time to time, and hadn't smoked since I was a kid, and apart from a dabble in drugs socially always 'prided' myself in being 'strong'.

yup. But stress struck, depression hit....and yeah, you've heard it all before any excuse to use wine as my solace. Anything to help me sleep.

5 years ago I knew intuitively that I had crossed a line. I was no longer a social drinker. 3 years ago, the first thing I did of a morning when I woke up....was reach for a glass of wine.

Today I need help!

A wonderful man I met quite by accident on a social media site, just happened to live near me and told me how he attends AA meetings. He invited me after I opened up for the first time to anyone about my problem. The strangest thing happened...I haven't read my bible for probably years now and for some strange reason I got it out of the drawer the other day and put it on the floor next to my bed. A day later, I awoke in the morning and the first thing I saw was a pamphlet sitting on top of the bible. It read: 'Making a start in Alcoholics Anonymous' - 'A guide for the beginner'. WOW! Now even God was encouraging me! He had to you see, as I have become a complete recluse.

I have set my date for sobriety as the 30th August, 2013. You may ask why this date? Well, I have a very special family function coming up before then, and knew I would be too week to start.

Please, I'm scared. I'm not sure If I can give up drinking. I don't really even want to as I enjoy it, and strangely enough, considering the huge amount I drink each day, I don't even get drunk. I know I have to. In three years, I have developed a fatty liver and a swollen pancreas, let alone my swollen face. I just need a bit of encouragement, as I have to do this but know I can't do it alone.

Thank you. I know you all have your own personal stories and admire your strength.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I'm glad you posted. I strongly suggest that you stop drinking now, today. There is never a good time to stop drinking and putting it off is simply putting it off. We are here to offer support.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Aussiegal! It's wonderful to have you join us.

I found SR in a similar way - I was searching for 'health issues of heavy drinkers' - didn't call myself an alcoholic back then. One thread led to another - and I was hooked by SR. I couldn't believe so many people felt exactly the same as I did. No one judged me or criticized or lectured. I was home. I never left this wonderful place that I feel saved my life. Glad you are here, and I hope you find what you need.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Aussiegal

I think many of us look at what looks like the mountain before us and get scared...it's ok - you don;t have to climb it all in one day...after a while you may even find it's not as formidable as you think it is now

There's a ton of support and encouragement here too - you're not alone.

I'm with Anna tho - the best day to quit is today. There will always be something up ahead - always.

This really is the first day of the rest of your life - why waste it? why waste the other 3 weeks of August left?

Think about how good it could be getting through something like your family get together sober - I believe you can

D
Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking a huge amount and not getting drunk is another sign of alcoholism. You build up a tolerance to it and it takes more and more to get the same effects. Eventually it starts to take more and more just to feel normal.

When I quit, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to enjoy a day sober. But I'm four months alcohol free now and I can assure you that I enjoy my life MORE now.

After a while, the hangovers change into alcohol withdrawal which is a terrible feeling. Hence the desire to drink when you wake up to make the withdrawal stop... of course drinking more only resets the cycle so you go through withdrawal again the next morning. Waking up without that is a joy.

More things will get better once you get sober than you can even imagine now. So many things have been changing for me and I didn't even realize that many of them were caused by alcohol until I quit. For example, I was sweaty non-stop. I had no idea that was due to drinking all the time until I just quit sweating the 4th or 5th day sober.

Stick close to this site. It is a great resource and offers tons of support.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Aussiegal, Many of the things you said, I also said early on. This is a great site. You will receive love and support here. Welcome! You have taken the first big step. Keep going dear.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go for it. Start today!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Aussie girl. You have come to place of great comfort and support. I stumbled across this site one morning after calling in to work sick (again) with a stinking hangover. Maybe god had a hand in me finding SR as I couldn't have got this far without it. You don't need to explain yourself for choosing your sober date. I decided the day I found SR that I wanted to stop for good but I was going travelling with friends and knew I had no chance staying sober so set my date for my return. What ever works for you there are no rules in this game. Good luck
Old 08-12-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Aussie! I too found this site by mistake looking for "liver problem (or pain). That's how I found this wonderful site with wonderful helpful people. I lurked around for about 5 mo. and finally joined the August 2013 class. Second best move lately. The FIRST best move I made was continuing to return to SR. Lots of helpful people here just like us and sharin the same goal...SOBRIOTY. Hope to see you around!!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too am in a similar boat. Quit as soon and as safely as possible. For me, that little voice in my head is always making excuses for drinking and procrastinating putting it off. Every step you can take in the right direction is important. Every move you make to cut back/abstain in the manner you and your doctor see fit will help you.

Best of luck.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you to all those that replied today. That's really encouraging. I can see you all have had different journeys. Thank you for not pressuring me and just encouraged. I really need that.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
TKS

Welcome, you are taking the first steps to beat this horrible habit.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alex41 View Post
Welcome Aussie girl. You have come to place of great comfort and support. I stumbled across this site one morning after calling in to work sick (again) with a stinking hangover. Maybe god had a hand in me finding SR as I couldn't have got this far without it. You don't need to explain yourself for choosing your sober date. I decided the day I found SR that I wanted to stop for good but I was going travelling with friends and knew I had no chance staying sober so set my date for my return. What ever works for you there are no rules in this game. Good luck
Thank you Alex. Yes, I know setting a date sounded like an excuse but I'm realistic about my capabilities at the moment. I appreciate what you said.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

---I have been sober for ten years now. I actually did the same thing, Aussiegal, and picked a date that "worked" for me, although I was encouraged to quit immediately. Yes, there will always be "something else" coming up, but (for me at least) having a future "quit day" on the calendar gave me a month to really get my commitment focused. A fatty liver is terrifying.....and a red flag that your body is seriously in trouble. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Welcome to SR! I came here years ago on a hangover google search. Lurked for at least a year. Finally cleaned up my act 8 months ago after many starts and stops. It is a journey.

Glad you have decided to stop drinking. Life really is better clearheaded and clean and sober. In so so many ways life is better. It takes time and effort though.

Best of luck as you move forward.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aussiegal View Post
...always 'prided' myself in being 'strong'.
In this thing we got here, there really is strength in surrender.

Posting here is a great start!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Aussiegal, and welcome! So glad that you are here. I also had a serious problem with wine and, in the end, I couldn't even begin to imagine life without it. I looked forward to it all day when at work and when not at work? I also felt no compunctions about having a glass in the morning either. By the end of my drinking, two bottles were barely getting me buzzed and my health was deteriorating quickly.

I am six months sober now and I can tell you for certain it is the best thing I have ever done. I know how hard that is to believe as I couldn't believe it myself but with the right tools and the right support, sobriety is not only possible but can eventually be enjoyable.

I agree with the others that there will always be another excuse to drink but if you are determined to stop at the end of the month, just keep a couple of things in mind. I did something similar the first go around although I only gave myself a week and I binged LIKE CRAZY trying to get every last drop down my throat before that dreaded date. I also had health issues similar to yours and threw my body into basically complete toxic shock with a pancreas and liver already compromised. I am not saying you will do this but please consider this warning in case the temptation is there. Don't make yourself more sick before you quit

The other thing I did was read as much as I possibly could about alcoholism and its effects both socially and physically. There are some great book recommendations in the Sticky at the top of the Newcomers homepage. For me, "Drinking: A Love Story" basically described the social dynamics of alcoholism, for me, perfectly. Allan Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Drinking" (don't be put off by the cheesy title) was pretty eye-opening about what alcohol really is and what it is really doing to us mentally and socially. Neither book is gory but certainly helped me realize many things. There are tons of other great recommendations as well.

In any case, so glad you are here and please post often. We're all here to support you on your journey! Best wishes and look forward to hearing more from you!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Aussiegal View Post
Thank you Alex. Yes, I know setting a date sounded like an excuse but I'm realistic about my capabilities at the moment. I appreciate what you said.
Welcome to SR! I am also on the side of stopping now as there really is no right time to stop. However, everyone takes their own journey in sobriety and they start it when they are ready. All we can do is offer our opinion based on our experiences.

I was terrified to give up the booze and in all honestly I didn't think I would make it. But I did it and so can you. You have a strength within that you don't know you have yet. But it is there.

You will find lots of support and help here.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You've all been so amazing, so honest and so helpful. Thank you PTCAPOTE for your book suggestions too.

I haven't been a drinker all my life, in fact, I've only really started drinking in the last couple of years, literally. I was stunned to discover that I have developed a fatty liver in just three years and my pancreas is badly compromised.

The amount I will 'gain' from sobriety will far out way the little mood enhancer I receive from wine.

The strangest thing is, I don't get drunk, nor get hangovers because of it. In fact, the moment I start to feel a little buzzed I'll pull back. I guess I'm what you might refer to as a 'sipper'. I just 'sip' non stop. All day, all night. A functioning alcoholic. After speaking with professionals in this area I'm told this is a sign of low seratonin levels.

Irrespective of WHAT my motivation or drinking habit is...I NEED TO STOP. Or I will be dead from alcohol associated illness.

Thank you for showing me that it is achievable.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Aussiegal.I also agree with stopping today.Tomorrow never comes and there will always be a reason/excuse not to quit today-family function,wedding,christening, birthday party, BBQ, meal with friends, holiday, outing from work, hen weekend, there's a 'Y' in the day.......

Today is the only time to quit. who knows whatcould happen in the 2 weeks if you keep drinking?