Notices

Please Scare Me To Quit...

Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Two years ago I had a blood test that showed my liver enzymes were highly elevated. Doctor told me my liver was damaged and I would get cirrhosis within the next year or two. Was that enough to scare me into immediately quit drinking? Hell no! I continued to drink and continued to get period liver tests and my enzymes kept escalating. Still not enough to "scare me" into quitting.

Like the others who posted here, I ended up quitting because I wanted sobriety more than being drunk. It's just as simple as that.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi ImDoingIt,
I get it. You are just asking for help.

I'm not a member of any support groups out there but I've been known to pop in one on occasion. There is nothing that breaks my heart more than seeing someone up close and personal who is beaten down and feels hopeless.

Just me but I always knew the scary parts and it didn't change much.

It changed when I moved beyond fear into compassion. For myself and others.

Don't try to scare yourself. Love yourself.

You can do it.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I didn't know how bad being drunk and stupid was until I stopped.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
MTD

While drunk I took a handful of muscle relaxers and pain killers. Husband had to call ambulance. CANT remember a thing!!! You are NOT in control of alcohol It controls you!!
I never would have done this while sober. Day ten sober...
Old 08-12-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'll bite.

I almost died after suffering three withdrawl seizures in an 8 month period and ended up in rehab. There are too many examples of unhealthy behavior to fit into a short paragraph. I will say that getting clean was the easy part - learning how to live sober and figure out this new lifestyle is much more difficult. You think a scary story's going to cure you? Just wait until you finally get clean and sober and see what's been buried underneath it all. Then you'll find out what scary really means.

Muwahahaha.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

See, unlike a lot of folks here, the horror stories were exactly what I was needing to be scared straight. I refused to believe the stories I heard in AA and thought them to be over dramatized. But once I spent some hours here, searching and digging, I realized ingesting poison will, infact, kill me if I continue. Based upon the honesty of the shares here, it finally hit me. The truth has to be known.

Not dwelled upon, but known.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImDoingIt View Post
I get where you all are coming from. But...please post in one sentence why drinking alcohol is so bad! We need to hear the horrible things and how totally bad it is for us!
You might feel that is neccesary, but don't say we. You only speak for yourself.

If you haven't figured out why alcohol is so bad, I'm sorry.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I...I... want to quit. So maybe... I don't know. It is so hard. I feel like ****...every day. I was just hoping some one would say...
"Guess what stupid...you are going to die if you don't"stop drinking! Wake up Lolo! What are you 12 years old! You are an adult! Take control of your life! No One can do it except for you!!!"
You will die young if you continue to drink. You might kill someone you love, or you might go insane.

There ya go.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
EndGame

Thanks everyone. I...I... want to quit. So maybe... I don't know. It is so hard. I feel like ****...every day. I was just hoping some one would say...
"Guess what stupid...you are going to die if you don't"stop drinking! Wake up Lolo! What are you 12 years old! You are an adult! Take control of your life! No One can do it except for you!!!"
If I could have been scared sober, I wouldn't have needed all the help I asked for and got to do it.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Here is my short, true but scary comment:

"Drinking causes death...."

(I know this for a fact; it killed my husband, uncle, grandpa, and two close friends)
Old 08-12-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

ImDoingIt

Try this out,
Instead of thinking, "I'm going to quit drinking", it's a subtle false positive.
Because "quitting" or "stopping" may one day mean there is a chance to take it up again

Try, " I surrender to the drinking game, Alcohol, I can't win that game"

Now many with egos and pride don't always "see" what it means to "surrender" to alcohol.
It certainly does not mean one is weak in character.

With alcoholic surrender, it's total, it's over and you have accepted it.
In other words, one respects alcohol for what it is, more powerful than you and what it does to your body. The living cells in your body can no longer deal with alcohol, so it's no use trying to over-power alcohol. It just going to get worse.
Once this is accepted, then it can only move closer to liberation from the drinking game, and strengthens your cause to remain liberated from alcohol.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I couldn't have been scared sober-it was always different for me (don't we all say that )

I only quit when I wanted to,when I'd truly had enough

Maybe stick around and read stories, they havebeen very helpful for me
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

I get where you all are coming from. But...please post in one sentence why drinking alcohol is so bad! We need to hear the horrible things and how totally bad it is for us!
How about it can kill you and it's a painful journey.