Notices

Hi everyone. I'm new here.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Hi everyone. I'm new here.

So glad I found this forum. I've read through many of your posts and can relate to all of them and so many have been helpful.

The day before I quit I threw up this awful bile and I hadn't even started drinking yet! That's when I knew I had enough and finally admitted to myself that I'm an alcoholic. I was drinking a 1.75 liter bottle of scotch or whiskey in 3 days!

I decided to go cold turkey. I know, probably not the best move but having no insurance and little income, well you get the picture. Besides, who would take care of my 3 kitties if they admitted me. I tapered off the first 4 days and glad I did. Day 1 I woke up early in the morning and was shaking uncontrollably and knew I was running a high fever. Thank God it subsided and my fever took 3 days to get back to normal. Each day I feel stronger. No shakes, had/have insomnia but that's to be expected. Bad constipation and cramps after having diarrhea for days. That is now gone. Lord only knows what that poison did to my digestive track.

I still have occasional low grade fevers but know this is my body's way of fighting off infection. I wake up with sweats in the morning and I almost feel blessed because I know the toxins are pouring out of my body. Five days ago I started getting the itchies. They haven't been too bad but last night when I went to bed it drove me bonkers, even after taking a Benydryl. I'm doing good otherwise and am very positive that I can do this. I don't even think about drinking any longer. Maybe it's because I remember how awful going through those 5 days of detox were.

I'll be 61 in November and just want my life back. Just glad I finally made that decision and took that first step to be sober and am so thankful I'm alive!

Today is Day 26!! Onward Ho!!

Rhiannon
Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Rhiannon

It sounds like you have been through the worst of it. Glad you are here x
Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rhiannon,
Welcome to our community. Congratulations on 26 days....that is quite an accomplishment. Any day that an alcohol doesn't drink is one to celebrate. You will find lots of encouragement and support here. I am glad you found us.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to a loving supportive site. I'm glad you joined us!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I've thrown up bile before, too. Awful. That also was a sign to me that I needed to stop.
I had progressed, as many of us do, to the hard stuff from beer. Didn't work out so well for me.

I hope you are through the worst of it, and hope you feel free to post as often as you like.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes.

Called a "so called" clinic today to get info on prices etc. Told them I quit drinking 26 days ago and felt great other than this low-grade fever I've had off and on. Would cost me $80 just for the visit and would take at least 30 days to get in to see a doc! LOL.. by then I'll be almost 60 days sober and fever will be gone.

Oh well, I can stick this out. Feel great otherwise.

Rhiannon
Old 08-12-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome LivingFree52

I appreciate your decision...but please, if you have any concerns about your health or well being, do see a Dr whether it's the ER or perhaps a low cost clinic....if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
Noone will involuntarily commit you to anything, I promise

D
Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Livingfree and welcome to sr x
Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard and best wishes on your road to recovery!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome LivingFree52

I appreciate your decision...but please, if you have any concerns about your health or well being, do see a Dr whether it's the ER or perhaps a low cost clinic....if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Noone will involuntarily commit you to anything, I promise

D
Hi Dee,

That place I called was a clinic. I did find another one though. It's a mobile medical van that goes to different locations throughout my area during the week.

I feel fine. Most times I wouldn't even know I was running a low-grade temp if I didn't take it. My gut feeling is telling me that this is my body's way of getting rid of toxins, especially when I wake up with sweats in the morning. I'll give it a few more days and if it doesn't go away I'll make an appt.

Rhiannon
Old 08-12-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rhiannon!