Notices

Feeling Low

Old 08-12-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Low

Hi,

Following on from my post the other day, I have decided to stop drinking but now feel incredibly depressed and lethargic. That is without having had a drink!!

I am prone to having depression and I am currently taking 150mg of Effexor for this. Recently I have been feeling a lot worse and consequently, have been binging with disastrous effects. (Getting angry etc)

I have made the decision to stop doing this as I made a complete idiot of myself last week but instead of feeling positive and energised, I feel so low.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think it is perfectly normal to feel a little down. It takes a little while for sobriety to equal feeling good. Be patient. It's also perfectly normal to start thinking that if sobriety isn't working, I might as well drink. That's the addiction. Be wary of any thoughts that lead to drinking.

Being on Effexor may effect recovery and how you feel if you've been drinking on it. If it's not doing what it should, see your doctor.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's very normal to feel low early on. I felt great initially after quitting then felt low for a few weeks. the thing is I told myself if I kept drinking I'd always feel depressed andlow.At least if I stopped I had hope. If I carried on drinking there was no hope for a better life. I took a short course of anti-ds at about 3 months but now feelmuch more positive. It takes us years to get into that state-it will take more than a couple of weeks for our brains and bodies to get better. Can you maybe see your doc again. Anti-ds tend not to work when drinking anyway plus alcohol is a depressant . It really does get better-have hope
Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Susan, That's great that you are quitting. It takes some time for the alcohol to get out of you. You might want to google symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. I experienced what you are describing with withdrawals. This will pass with time. Check with your doctor about the medications, please make sure to tell them about the quitting. Best wishes to you. It will get better and be totally worth it!