Notices

I want my knuckles back

Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
No it is not an AA mantra. I did a google search and the only website that uses the quote mentioned is this website (2nd paragraph, "White Knuckle Sobriety Defined").

White Knuckle Sobriety

I'm not sure what the above means...AA mantra? Nowhere in the AA literature do the words "white knuckling" appear, and I have never heard anyone in AA endorse or condone "white knuckling", but the exact opposite.

This is what AA endorses and encourages through working the steps.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like to see ANY program misrepresented (especially mine ).
Apologies Grungehead, I genuinely thought 'white knuckling' was an AA term for people who just stopped drinking but did nothing else in terms of a program of recovery. I was not implying anyone condoned white knuckling-quite the opposite. I thought people in AA said if you didn't work a program you are whit knuckling it. I did not intend to misinform anyone and sorry if I insulted you or anyone
Old 08-13-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
(((Hi Ready))) You know, for me I figured out that alcohol was a way for me to tolerate the intolerable..sometimes jobs and sometimes relationships. Alcohol kept me stagnant and spinning my wheels in a general feeling of complaint I needed to stifle. I celebrated my pity party every night when I opened that bottle (bottles) of wine.

Sobriety turns on the lights. We've been so long in the dark that at first its kinda painful. We squint and put our hands to our eyes until they adjust. I know early in my sobriety (as in the first few weeks...I'm still early in sobriety at 2+ months)..when my eyes were squinty I almost longed for a return to denial. I wanted to go back to being a couch mushroom with my wine....but I didn't.

For me, sobriety is all about finding my voice..and actually learning to have faith and confidence and trust in it. Until I find it and listen to it...no one else will. Sometimes I feel like a diver who was lost in the depths...but I'm on way up...I see the light at the top of the water..I'm almost there..it keeps getting bigger and brighter : )
This was beautiful.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sunset, dolly thank you so much for your responses! It means so much to have kinship!

Sunset come join our moms thread in newcomers support! I think you'll lo e it it's really helpful in those early days congrats on your Desision to get sober.

As far as the talk with the hubby it was a kind of the deaf ears again. But I didn't get frustrated I'm going to revisit it in a few days with a different approach. When I told him of my frustration he laughed and said moms everywhere are doing what your doing (he is correct) that I'm lucky to be able to stay home ( correct) and they won't need me 24/7 forever ( correct) these were things I already knew. I was looking for validation and offers of help. Maybe do the occasional bath or cook a dinner or take them to the park. But I've got a little plan scheming
I'm going to ask him to trade places with me for one day. I can easily run his business ( I did it in the past) I'm going to leave at 8 expecting a cooked breakfast and packed lunch formyself and be home at 530 awaiting dinner and a clean house with happy children. I then will get to go into the home office watch tv and pretend to work while be does baths plays does the 3 hour bedtime routine that might work if my words aren't being heard. childish maybe but I'd really like him too see how isolating my life can be and have more understanding.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Grateful

No apologies needed RAL. And the term "white knuckling" while not used in the AA literature is kind of implied if all you do is remove the alcohol and don't do anything else. There are many in AA now who believe removing the alcohol and using the fellowship (meetings) to stay sober is all that anyone needs. I personally tried that and failed miserably after going several years of not drinking (twice...slow learner).

I apologize for shifting the main focus of the thread away from its main intent. I agree 100% with everything your post said about what sobriety is all about.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
No apologies needed RAL. And the term "white knuckling" while not used in the AA literature is kind of implied if all you do is remove the alcohol and don't do anything else. There are many in AA now who believe removing the alcohol and using the fellowship (meetings) to stay sober is all that anyone needs. I personally tried that and failed miserably after going several years of not drinking (twice...slow learner).

I apologize for shifting the main focus of the thread away from its main intent. I agree 100% with everything your post said about what sobriety is all about.

Thanks for your reply Grungehead, no apologies needed on your part

When I re-read my original post I realized I could have worded it better