Notices

Wanting advice as someone in a relationship with an alcoholic

Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting advice as someone in a relationship with an alcoholic

I'm trying to get a greater understanding of how to support my partner through the first stages of attending AA. This is the first time shes attended and something I know will be hard for her to handle.
I am so proud of the fact she wants to make this change and I want to do everything I can to support her but I need advice and help hopefully from you guys.

I am not in AA. How does this work when in a serious relationship with someone who is? What things can I do to make it easier for her and myself? If she slips and has a drink how do I help her deal with the guilt of it? How can I protect her and also myself from her destructive behaviour if this happens?

Basically I just need an understanding of how to handle this. Any words would be welcomed.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2013, 02:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tatty

I have no personal experience to share - but have you considered AlAnon for yourself?
it may tick off a few of those boxes for you?

D
Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The best thing you can do for your partner (and yourself) is to also stop drinking altogether. Otherwise long term, the relationship isn't going to work.

I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I don't gamble. Nor do I associate with anyone that does. Thus, (obviously) neither does my girlfriend. If she did, I would kick her to the curb faster than the road runner says "beep- beep."

When we talked about this I simply told her the unvarnished truth which was that I cannot come down to your level. You must come up to mine or this isn't going to work. Fortunately for me, she comes from a family that doesn't drink. So it was a relatively easy transition for us.

Above all never forget that we attract not what we want, but that which we are.

Good luck and God Bless