Notices

Stomach Pain

Old 08-11-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stomach Pain

I have been struggling to quit drinking over this past year, and I have days of sobriety mixed with days of heavy drinking. This past week was pretty bad, drinking-wise, and stress-wise, and for the past 4 days I have had pretty bad stomach pains. It's in the upper abdomen and feels like a burning sensation, and I also had two episodes of really stabbing pain. Stomach pain for me is not new, it's been off and on for the past couple of years, but this week it has gotten worse and I even find myself having adverse cravings for alcohol and coffee - as in, I just can't stomach the thought of drinking them right now.The good thing about having this much stomach pain is that it is really giving me a strong incentive to quit drinking, for good, for ever.

I've been looking this up online, obviously it's related to drinking, and most likely gastritis or pancreatitis.

Does anyone out there have any advice or experience with these symptoms?

I will see a doctor this week if it keeps up. I did not drink today and I had only a few beers the day before (which is a light drinking day for me). I feel strongly that this time I can quit for good. The fear of pain and death is a big motivator.

The only thing I worry about is, how will I feel in a few months or so, when I'm feeling better? I hope to look back at this post and remind myself that this pain and fear is not worth a measly drink.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi trident

the best two suggestions I can give you is stop drinking...and see a Dr

I had a lot of stomach troubles as a drinker...they're almost nonexistent now as a sober person

D
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I have had alcohol related gastritis. It's very painful. Burns almost unrelenting. And then, just like that it stops. If that what it is. I made the mistake of taking an Advil on on empty stomach while an episode was happening and wound up at the hospital.

Nothing to mess around with.

Best to get it checked out by a doc.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

Well i ended up in hospital sat morning from really severe abdominal pain. With tightening of shoulder etc from anxiety. The hospital did xrays and blood tests and they couldn't find anything on the xrays but my blood tests showed a blood infection, they could tell it was alcohol related. They've just given me pain killers, and i've decided to stop drinking.

You should see a doc.