Notices

If you want to drink...

Old 08-11-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you want to drink...

If you want to drink:

Take the feeling that makes you want to drink and drop it like you would drop a pen you were holding to the floor.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If that works for you that's great Dorian.
Unfortunately in my drinking days 5 mins later I'd be picking the pen back up again....

D
Old 08-11-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Did you actually DO it Dee? With all the feelings? Without any preconceived ideas that it won't work anyway.

DO it. Then report back.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Actually, I am on day 17 of sobriety and I have had absolutely no urges to drink whatsoever. Alcohol repulses me and it is poison to my mind and body.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you actually DO it Dee? With all the feelings? Without any preconceived ideas that it won't work anyway.

DO it. Then report back.
Absolutely I did.

I tried a lot of things over my 15 years trying to quit - I was *desperate*

I studied CBT DBT, self-hypnosis, aversion therapy, talismans, prayer, magic.....I saw counsellors, psychologists and psychiatrists.

but...I still wanted to drink.

I wanted to beat it. I wanted to control it.

I wanted to drink,and not get drunk (which was actually a lie but I believed it then)

I wanted to drink and have no bad consequences.

I found that I could rationalise my way back into drinking everytime.
I was literally my own worst enemy.

My journey to recovery was a looong one.

D
Old 08-11-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dorian I have a question and I am not trying to be disrespectful - if you are successful then more power to you.
You are stating that you were able to drop your desire to drink like a pen. But in your other thread, you stated that you DID drink, but a very limited amount. So the desire to drink is not entirely gone, or you would have abstained? Can you clarify?

Thanks and best wishes
Old 08-11-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee awesome response! How is it that you always know the right things to say. You are a source of strength wisdom and experience to this community. Thanks for always being there! To me SR wouldn't be what it is without you!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DorianLastname View Post
If you want to drink:

Take the feeling that makes you want to drink and drop it like you would drop a pen you were holding to the floor.

I guess I missed the point....pretty common for this old drunk.

I thought this was a positive way of explaining drinking thinking.

Sorry got lost in the muddle.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dorian I wish you every success. I am very troubled by your posts today..but that is just me. Again, bright blessings to you in your endeavour whether that be sobriety or moderation.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Absolutely I did.

I tried a lot of things over my 15 years trying to quit - I was *desperate*

I studied CBT DBT, self-hypnosis, aversion therapy, talismans, prayer, magic.....I saw counsellors, psychologists and psychiatrists.

but...I still wanted to drink.

I wanted to beat it. I wanted to control it.

I wanted to drink,and not get drunk (which was actually a lie but I believed it then)

I wanted to drink and have no bad consequences.

I found that I could rationalise my way back into drinking everytime.
I was literally my own worst enemy.

My journey to recovery was a looong one.

D
I respect your situation. Really, I do. Do realize that it takes a few days to know if this works,

If you're open to it, honestly and fully do this one thing. It's just for a few days.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlisonW View Post
Dorian I have a question and I am not trying to be disrespectful - if you are successful then more power to you.
You are stating that you were able to drop your desire to drink like a pen. But in your other thread, you stated that you DID drink, but a very limited amount. So the desire to drink is not entirely gone, or you would have abstained? Can you clarify?

Thanks and best wishes
Good question. It was regarding the feeling of problematic drinking that I dropped. I'm ok with drinking within healthy and "normal" limits, so I don't need to drop that.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InperfectlyMe View Post
Dee awesome response! How is it that you always know the right things to say. You are a source of strength wisdom and experience to this community. Thanks for always being there! To me SR wouldn't be what it is without you!
Try the method before you can judge.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
I guess I missed the point....pretty common for this old drunk.

I thought this was a positive way of explaining drinking thinking.

Sorry got lost in the muddle.
No, it is about dropping the feeling that makes you drink too much.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Still lost
Old 08-11-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I respect your situation. Really, I do. Do realize that it takes a few days to know if this works,

If you're open to it, honestly and fully do this one thing. It's just for a few days.
Like I said I tried a lot of things a lot of times over 15 years.

With all due respect, your way did not work for me, and I'm not going to start drinking again after 6 years to test it out again, y'know?

Good question. It was regarding the feeling of problematic drinking that I dropped. I'm ok with drinking within healthy and "normal" limits, so I don't need to drop that.
I wish you the best with that.

Perhaps you're made of different stuff... but for me - no matter how good my intentions beforehand...once I drank, I changed - and all bets were off.

D
Old 08-11-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Dorian I wish you every success. I am very troubled by your posts today..but that is just me. Again, bright blessings to you in your endeavour whether that be sobriety or moderation.
No need to be troubled but I appreciate the concern. Makes me feel connected.

What I did really did work for me. And I am trying to help others with it.

I feel a compassion to everyone on here. Just today I saw a guy walk out of a bar, in the afternoon. Heavily overweight from the beer. I thought "Poor guy, I wish I could help you".

So this is what worked for me. All I ask is that people give it at least a couple of days of honest attempt.

Furthermore, I am fine. Thanks for your concern though!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dorian, I think you are probably going to have a lot of the same reactions on this post as you did your last one. I sincerely do not think anyone here is trying to be mean or cynical but the fact of the matter is, as Dee states above, most (90% according to the last poll I saw) have tried just about every way til Sunday to moderate our drinking. There are hundreds and hundreds of people who post here regularly and I would guess most, if not all, of them have tried to moderate. Many likely tried the same technique you are promoting above.

At the end of the day, almost ALL of us could not do it. So when people who have tried everything (and lost nearly everything to booze or drugs or whatever) see, "Just drop it like a pen!" it may not come across as the God-send or cure-all you believe it is for you. So just maybe try to be a little understanding of that

Plus a week or so ago your post said you were drinking 2+ bottles of wine a night and at the bottom of your barrel. The fact that you have rebounded and found something that works for you is awesome but, as I believe Anna said in your other post...if you are not an alcoholic, you'll be able to moderate, no problem. As a matter of fact, the word "moderate" probably wouldn't even be in your dictionary. If you are an alcoholic, you very likely won't. And we are concerned for you, overall. in case time proves that you fall into the latter category as alcoholism tends to make us much, much worse before we get better.

In whatever case, I wish you the best of luck and hope this technique works for you. In turn, I hope you have a little understanding of what some of the rest of us have experienced as well.

Last edited by Ptcapote; 08-11-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-11-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

So Dorian...so I'm clear...you're suggesting others can do this too - drink a little, then 'drop the pen'?

D
Old 08-11-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
Still lost
You have a pen in your hand. You open your hand and it falls to the floor.

The same you can do with the feeling that makes you drink. Just drop it.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Like I said I tried a lot of things a lot of times over 15 years.

With all due respect, your way did not work for me, and I'm not going to start drinking again after 6 years to test it out again, y'know?

I wish you the best with that.

Perhaps you're made of different stuff... but for me - no matter how good my intentions beforehand...once I drank, I changed - and all bets were off.

D
Dee, try this for at least a few days before you judge. Just DO it.