Notices

If you want to drink...

Old 08-11-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
So Dorian...so I'm clear...you're suggesting others can do this too - drink a little, then 'drop the pen'?

D
No, drop the pen of addiction first, then drink "normally".
Old 08-11-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Dorian, I guess the burning question is: why do you feel a need to drink at all?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
Dorian, I think you are probably going to have a lot of the same reactions on this post as you did your last one. I sincerely do not think anyone here is trying to be mean or cynical but the fact of the matter is, as Dee states above, most (90% according to the last poll I saw) have tried just about every way til Sunday to moderate our drinking. There are hundreds and hundreds of people who post here regularly and I would guess most, if not all, of them have tried to moderate. Many likely tried the same technique you are promoting above.

At the end of the day, almost ALL of us could not do it. So when people who have tried everything (and lost nearly everything to their disease) see, "Just drop it like a pen!" it may not come across as the God-send or cure-all you believe it is for you. So just maybe try to be a little understanding of that

Plus a week or so ago your post said you were drinking 2+ bottles of wine a night and at the bottom of your barrel. The fact that you have rebounded and found something that works for you is awesome but, as I believe Anna said in your other post...if you are not an alcoholic, you'll be able to moderate, no problem. As a matter of fact, the word "moderate" probably wouldn't even be in your dictionary. If you are an alcoholic, you very likely won't. And we are concerned for you, overall. in case time proves that you fall into the latter category as alcoholism tends to make us much, much worse before we get better.

In whatever case, I wish you the best of luck and hope this technique works for you. In turn, I hope you have a little understanding of what some of the rest of us have experienced as well.
2 weeks ago I did not have this method. And what happened to be true in the past does not dictate what is possible in the future.

All I ask is that people actually DO this exercise for a few days.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
So Dorian...so I'm clear...you're suggesting others can do this too - drink a little, then 'drop the pen'?

D
Yeah, I'm still not sure I understand the whole thing, I just know its best for me not to have even one drink, I just wouldn't trust myself to let that pen go! For a true alcoholic, far too dangerous, in my opinion.

Best wishes
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
Dorian, I guess the burning question is: why do you feel a need to drink at all?
I don't feel a need. It's just like something you can choose to do or not.
  # 26 (permalink)  

Let's just drop it
Old 08-11-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlisonW View Post

Yeah, I'm still not sure I understand the whole thing, I just know its best for me not to have even one drink, I just wouldn't trust myself to let that pen go! For a true alcoholic, far too dangerous, in my opinion.

Best wishes
Understood. Drop all the pens anyway. And stay sober if you want to.

Just remember that any desire in any drink is based on a feeling that you can just drop to the floor. It's gone.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's important you understand this Dorian - that kind of advice might have helped me kill myself.

It's completely antithetical to what we do here on SR.

There is no 'drinking normally' for me - I tried every permutation you can think of.

Again and again I found myself back in the same dark place.

My story is not an isolated one. Read around. *Really* read.

It's accepting that I can't drink normally that led me to a successful recovery.
Rather than all of us being wrong, isn't it just possible you might be?

This is rule 2
2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
This thread is closed.

D