Notices

Scared

Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

I feel like I don't have time for detox and if and when and how I do it how will I handle my family...how will they handle me? We have so many family members and friends coming and staying with us this summer, funerals, reunions, weddings etc. I feel like honestly now is not the time (cop-out, I know). All I want is to live a long healthy life and be the best role-model for my children I can be. I am also not sure if detox is available in my area and am very nervous to talk to my gp about it. I am so so happy I found this site and am so proud of all of you on here, thank you so much for sharing ~G
Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Gully,

Welcome.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to you Gully. I know this is a scary time, but be proud of yourself for reaching out and seeking support. I think talking with your gp will relieve your anxiety greatly! It feels so good to get this out in the open. Keep posting & reading here - you are not alone.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Gully

There is no reason you can't get the ball rolling now. Have a chat with your doctor and see what is available in your area. They might not know of everything though so do some research yourself too. Here in the UK there are many agencies who help people cut down before stopping drinking, it is preferred to just putting everyone on a medical detox. But you need to be honest if you feel you can't do this. But I am assuming that even if you are unable to stop drinking right now that you will not want to be drinking excessively during difficult times? Maybe stopping completely before hand is a better option.

Glad you are here x
Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Gully. No need to be afraid of quitting, the benefits far outweigh the initial hardships of detox/withdrawal. Talk to your doc..that's the best place to start. And read lots here!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. This is a huge step in your life for yourself and family. Years ago I chose AA and many years later still attend. The way to approach getting sober is to be honest with our selves and surrender to the fact we're different and cannot drink in SAFTY. After stopping I needed to learn and fend off the reasons I drank or I'd repeat my past behavior. Big hint, feelings, escaping them more accurately. There are many and often not there all the time. Anxiety, loneliness, insecurity, anger, control, resentments, fear, worry and on and on. This takes a four letter word called TIME which I hated. Part of a successful journey is we have to get sober for ourselves as the #1 reason. BE WELL
Old 08-11-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

scared

Thank you all
Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gully,

There is never a good time to stop drinking. And, honestly, it might be a time to consider putting your needs ahead of everyone else's needs. Do you need to attend every single family event? Maybe you could put off some of the summer visitors until another time?

Doing things for everyone else was one of the main reasons I ended up drinking. I felt like I lost myself to everyone else's needs. It was so important for me to spend the time and effort on myself in the early days of recovery and to understand that I was worth it.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some great advice here Gully

why not speak to a Dr - listen to what they suggest, then make up your own mind. Noone can force you

D