Notices

What's disappointed you about sobriety so far?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Great posts here!

dbillyd, I identify with the weight thing. I calculate that on my weekend binges, between what I drank and then becoming the Drunken Gourmet that I consumed probably about 5000 extra calories a weekend (if not more).

However, I cared very little about food when I was drinking so I ate the frozen low cal dinners during the week, etc. and very little during the day on Fridays and Saturday because who wants to fill their stomach and kill the buzz? I actually eat more now because I'm not drinking. Now the task at hand is to not eat that chocolate and ice cream that my body seems to be wanting.

The only things that I am disappointed about (but not focused on) is

1. Now that I am here that I didn't understand how much better it could be and didn't do it sooner.

2. That I have no way to accurately portray to a newcomer that if they just hang in there that "THIS" is what being sober feels like if they stick it out.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

I think the biggest thing I'm having to come to terms with is what an almighty mess I've made of things to be honest. And that's the real disappointment, not sobriety.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I at first avoided this thread due to its title but curiosity got the better of me. Like Dee, I truly wish I got this thing figured sooner. I get a wee bit sad when I think of all the time and opportunities I wasted, so I pull myself outta the thought as quick as I can cuz I can't change it. I have to admit, I blamed alcohol for a couple of things that I have discovered in sobriety we're not a result of alcohol..ah well, big deal..I just deal with those things sober now. I'm pretty certain I can resolve them quicker and easier now with a sober mind at the helm 24/7.

I do not feel deprived nor wistful for my drinking days..quite the opposite. I was ignorant and uninformed of so much whilst I put that glass to my lips time after time and night after night.

That is not to say the "sobriety bus" is always a smooth ride.... but I know getting off would be direct delivery straight into the bowels of hell.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I 'm with Dee, and sasha4, Billy that I didn't find it sooner.

I think if I did I would have a better career, more happy with myself, a better relationship.

I am glad now that I have finally got it in my head loud and clear that to not make any more drunken mistakes, hurt to me and others, damage to my health all it takes is to not pick up that first drink.

I hope and wish you the best
Eric.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

To echo the others, there is nothing about sobriety itself that is disappointing. I cannot name one thing that would be better of I chose to drink again. Some of my actions while drinking were disappointing, and the fact that tried escaping them with alcohol is also disappointing in retrospect. But I am 1000 percent sure that sobriety is the right thing for me, absolutely no regrets
Old 08-11-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I thought I would lose my gut faster than I am. But I am eating way too many sweets and feel like I can't control my intake of sweets.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Nothing.