Notices

Any atheists?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Any atheists?

Hello everybody! I bumped into this site doing some research and I thinks its GREAT! I look forward to learning more about this place but to start of I would like to know if there are any ATHEISTS here? I do not want to offend any one, I respect your faith, please respect my lack of one. Any sincere suggestions would be appreciated!

OK Now Let The Healing BEGIN!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Big Fish - welcome

We're a big site - there are all kinds of folks, and beliefs, here
I'm sure you'll fit in.

I recommend you also check out the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a secular and/or non 12 step approach

D
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bigfish, Welcome! I'm not an atheist. But welcome to the site. You will like it. You didn't say what you want suggestions about. People here are happy to help.
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, BigFish!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We all have all kinds of beliefs, and even the belief of no belief.......( hope that made sense) Also, all forms of recovery are appreciated here. Welcome to SR! Yes, let the healing begin.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was looking for any suggestions about other atheists in the program. I you know any, where to find any? Thank you
Old 08-10-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TKS

Hi Big Fish, I am reluctant to give myself any labels concerning theological belief systems, but if I had to then yes, I would say that I am also an atheist. Have been here for a week, and you do need to read the christian-inspired comments, prayers and signature quotes sometimes, but I can assure you that they are all well-intentioned to help members with the support they need from like minded addicts. In this last week I have probably spend over 20 hours on this site, and it's my primary support mechanism.

And I'm not observing any attempts to 'convert' either. Just good old fashioned compassion for new members, a character trait which is not exclusive to any faith. In fact some of the best responses that touched me the most were from members that had wholly embraced the christian life in recovery.

If you decide to hit the Secular Connections forum with an elaboration on your thoughts regarding the most popular recovery model ( AA) and your doubts about the program, I will happily be an active part of the discussion, because I have a lot of challenges in accepting the tenants also, even with the suggested interpretations for atheists.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by BigFish0047 View Post
I was looking for any suggestions about other atheists in the program. I you know any, where to find any? Thank you
If by program you mean AA, there are several atheists in AA that are members of this forum.

AA Atheists | Atheists, Agnostics, Skeptics & Freethinkers in Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 08-10-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

we also have a secular 12 step forum.

Secular 12 Step Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 08-10-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Welcome BigFish!

There's an enormous amount of info here from all walks of life and beliefs. You're going to love this place!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am non theistic.

As in, I don't know.

Welcome to the site. It's a good tolerant place for all recovering people.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR
Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Don't think I was ever really an atheist for long.
Sort of dabbled with agnosticism, now choose belief, as distinct from hard line KNOWING.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I used to identify as an atheist. I have become more spiritual since I've been in recovery, and find myself talking to God sometimes. But I don't identify with Christianity or any other particular religion. Hasn't hurt me on SR at all. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine here
Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm an atheist. But I've been wrong before, so God only knows if I'm right about this.

I'm not in a program at all... unless you count coming to SR eight times a day for six months or so a program, lol... so I'd say you have definitely come to the right place. I have no idea what most of the folks here believe; usual mix, I suppose. What blew me away is that all these different people, from all different experiences, understood things about me in a way even my own family never could. Awesome.

Not that everybody here agrees on everything, far from. And yeah, for some folks, faith plays a pretty big role in recovery. But in my experience, good advice comes from all directions around here.

For what it's worth, I've found the Rational Recovery AVRT techniques discussed on the secular connections threads very useful. Not that I agree with everything Rational Recovery has to say (seems as I'm no better at secularism than I was at spirituality), but it's worth taking a read.

I haven't had a drink in about two and a half years. Best decision I ever made. You're going to be really grateful you took this step!
Old 08-11-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigFish0047 View Post
Do you mean in AA? If you are lucky you will be able to find some Agnostic AA groups but I do not know where. It's not something we have a lot of in the UK.

It would be worth looking into SMART recovery and Lifering. Both run meetings I believe.

There is also Women for Sobriety if you're female.

AVRT (Rational Recovery) Is a non meeting based non recovery method which would definitely be worth checking out.

Oh, and I am a strict Atheist. I have respect for other people's beliefs and I am often able to find much of worth there but ultimately they are not for me. I struggled with AA because there just is too much of that language and while it is workable without a faith I think there is an underlying expectation that you will find one. I found it patronising so went down the SMART/AVRT route.

There is also a secular 12 step forum here as well as the secular connections forum.

Glad you are here x
Old 08-11-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm an atheist myself. I can understand that it's hard to find a group of people that you can relate to that has an alcohol problem and an atheist. There are a few groups you can look into, SOS and Rational Recovery and the two biggest ones that does not focus on the God concept. There a few other forums that are more focus to that but you will need to do a Google search on the two I provided above. If your luck you can find local meetings for those group. If your close to your family, you can always seek help from there. Also, finding an addiction counselor will be your best bet but it's not free and you need to have insurance.

Good luck and I hope you get the right help!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm glad I read this thread as I was about to go to an AA meeting. Are their methods really that dependent on god? If so, it would not be for me.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm an atheist and a skeptic and a recovering alcoholic. AA and other programs are fine if they work for you. I have only used this website for support in my sobriety, no 12 steps or face to face meetings.

There are a lot of people who maintain long term sobriety without believing in a higher power. The key is committing to lifelong sobriety. As long as you know you're an alcoholic, and thus have no choice but to commit to sobriety if you want to survive and live a healthy and meaningful life, then you'll find a way, higher power or not.