Notices

New user

Old 08-07-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New user

My 46 yr old son is addicted to opiates. He snorts them up his nose. He could take up to 20 a day if he decides to. He can't sleep, can't urinate. He has involuntary jerking movements of his arms and legs. He keeps throwing cold water on his face in the middle of the night. He changes clothes 5 times in the middle of the night. He makes statements not related to anything. He is verbally abusive, can't hold a job because he is always high. He constantly lie to me about everything, and constantly asks for money. he tells me it is for food, gas or bills and then if feel sorry for him and give him the money, only to find out later that he uses the money for any kind of pills. He is always picking his face. I think that these pills are killing him slowly, mentally and physically. I live on a fixed income and can't give him anymore money. My credit card is sky high because of him and I just don't have the money to help him anymore. Now that I realize that he is buying pills with my money, I really don't want to give him anymore. I pray to God everyday to help him. I pray that he will go to rehab. I don't know what else to do. If I tell him that he needs to stop taking the pills, he gets mad at me and won't talk to me for a couple of week. He will finally talk to me when he needs something. PLease tell me what to do. All I do is think about him constantly and have a hard time sleeping. Sorry, this is so long, but it is nice to have someone to talk to. Thanks,
Old 08-07-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No half measures

Alanon or naranon can help. you'll be surrounded by people who understand your situation. people understand what codependency is. You will learn how to support but not enable. Most importantly you'll learn how to take care of yourself
Old 08-07-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, though I'm sorry for what has brought you here.

I've been on both sides of the addiction fence - the addict and the loved one of an addict.

You may want to check out this forum - lots of good people there going through similar situations:

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Keep reading and posting, you are not alone.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-10-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What addicts do

Can tell me where to find a post called What Addicts Do? I saw it a few days ago. I would like to show it to my son and I can't find it now. Would appreciate your help. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sadsadlady, please stop giving him money it is only enabling him to keep using, and feeling sorry for him is a waste of your time. Addicts don't care who they use, even their mothers. Also quite taking the verbal abuse, especially if it's happening in your home. You don't deserve it.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sadsadlady,

I am sorry you have to go through this pain.

You can find the post you mentioned here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ddicts-do.html
Old 08-10-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello. I understand your pain and suggest following the above suggestions. We cannot get anyone sober, they have to want to for themselves. Al Anon has a good track record for helping folks like ourselves if we let it. Hopefully with time you can change your name to Happylady1. BE WELL
Old 08-10-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your help!