Notices

new here

Old 08-10-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here

Hello, I have just joined. I have known that I have a problem for some time now but I havent been able to stop. I am wondering if anyone has had success in quitting by tapering? I was previously addicted to benzos and had to taper those in order to quit. Thanks
Old 08-10-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

If we are talking about alcohol, I did reduce the amount during one week and have now been sober for 1 week.

It was more for the physical part I did reduce it slowly, in reality I found it a lot harder to reduce the amount slowly than leave it alone.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome bsl. Tapering is very commonly asked about here. For vast majority it doesn't work. On top of that, there is still a withdrawal period at the end of the taper, no different than quitting cold turkey. I think the main reason is that an alcoholic cannot control how much we drink anyway, so in a sense tapering is just another form of moderation, which is also nearly impossible for a true alcoholic.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome to SR!

I was never able to taper off alcohol successfully.

Luckily I was able to quit cold turkey without the withdrawal symptoms hospitalizing me or anything, but I really should have consulted my doctor before stopping because I had no way of telling how bad the withdrawal symptoms would be.

Anyway, like Scott says, even if I had somehow managed to taper off there would still have been a withdrawal period.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. Is it possible that the withdrawal symptoms are not as bad if you taper than if you just stop? I've put off quitting partly because I'm scared of the withdrawal symptoms. I live alone and would not have anyone to help me if things got really bad.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR.

I've no experience of tapering, it wouldn't have worked for me as I'm 'all or nothing'..., but I do know that all depending on how much or how regularly you drank, you would still need to be careful of withdrawals.

Your doctor is the best person to ask for advice about this.

Good to have you with us.