Notices

What are you doing today that's helping your recovery?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are you doing today that's helping your recovery?

What's that something you will consciously do today that is going to be one the bricks in your foundation, long term?

And what are you doing today that is perfectly indulgent and wonderful that is a kindness to yourself? Something that makes you feel better, gives you motivation and rewards you for the progress you've made so far?

For me, I am going on a hike as I have made a conscious choice to pay more attention to my physical health. This will help my recovery as I know if I feel good physically, the mental part follows along with a reduction in anxiety. Also I know I have to repair some of the damage that drinking has done to my body.

As far as indulgent - I coloured my hair, because grey Mangoes feels old looking in the mirror, even though she isn't. Also a little boost for my self esteem and mental health

What's on your radar for today?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I LOVE this Mangoes, and so true. Enjoy your hike!

I'm going for a run then I'm packing my kids up and we're heading out to meet my husband on an overnight (where he's staying for work) on the coast.

I decided to sign up for a rather difficult race too. Figure having that goal will help keep me focused on being healthy.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A little later I'll go to the bay and check the water and recall all the pleasurable sober times spent out there. It's Saturday so I hope some visitors have vacated spaces to park for us natives. BE WELL
Old 08-10-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great question Magoes! Went to yardsales this morning looking for a bargan, bought a coffee at a cool cafe. Great fun and really inexpensive. Going to cook my "signature" dish for friends and family tonight and enjoy the conversations. All this instead of getting wasted today!!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Couple of hours on the bike this morning.
Followed by few with kids.
Bit of cleaning to make wife happy when she returns from work.
2 hours of Joe and charlie and bb study.
Vigil mass and a meeting.
A chat with Mrs b4 bed
And finally on my knees before sleep to thank god for my day
Old 08-10-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Let's see...I've been up since 3am this morning,
so Ive been sober for quite awhile today. I'm
also watching the PGA compainship on TV waiting
for the best of the best to begin this afternoons
round.

It's a good day with lots of sunshine to be
sober, happy and content. No complaints.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A good work out at the gym and rowing tomorrow! Exercise definitely eases the anxiety on day 4. Thanks for the inspiration
Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LDT

I walked the dogs, made breakfast, ran errands and just settled down with sleepy pups to watch my favorite movie, 'On Golden Pond'. Later we will grill steaks. A fine sober Saturday
Old 08-10-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Breathing. I'm only on day 2 of sobriety. Took a shower for the first time in too long. Went for lunch with mu husband and daughter (today is our wedding anniversary) and some shoe shopping (it really was his idea - he needed new work shoes!!!! I swear!!! LOL!). Husband is making dinner then I'm going to my 3rd AA meeting in 3 days. I'm pretty tired and the meeting is at 8:30 and I'm hoping I won't just be so tired.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

I am on Day 5 and am Super Tired today..But I did get up at 8am, made it to the 9am chat at WFS and have been giving in to the tiredness knowing my body needs the sleep to heal. Tomorrow I will make a cleaning list of what MUST be done and what is optional and stick to it!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Red face

I'm giving support to my friends in AA and here on SR. I totally missed my morning meeting (forgot alarm! Oops!) so I contacted a few sober people to see how they were doing and just to check in... Also, I could not sleep last night so I read recovery stories on a website I like called The Fix. Each day I try to do something. My goal for next week is to start my gratitude list back up and to not miss any of my scheduled meetings! I'm also volunteering at the prison to work with inmates who want recovery. I love going there actually. None of these things should be credited to me though! It's all AA, SR and God. I feel lucky because I have been such a bad person at times it feels good to give back and make some of this right. Happy to be SOBER!

Great topic! Thank you!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I ate well today.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bitmap View Post
I am on Day 5 and am Super Tired today..But I did get up at 8am, made it to the 9am chat at WFS and have been giving in to the tiredness knowing my body needs the sleep to heal. Tomorrow I will make a cleaning list of what MUST be done and what is optional and stick to it!
Good for you!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

So cool Mangoes!

For my long term recovery from alcoholism and stress eating, I went to church today, I picked up on the stress I felt afterward. I felt a little stressed because I was alone and this particular congregation is packed with very old folks and families. I'm at a turning point in my life where I need to be meeting new people that are living the life I want. I decided I need to get my tukas to young ppl meetings and smile and just keep coming back. Also, I'm going to try out a church I've heard has young adults. I also went to the gym.

To indulge: I'm watching all my delicious cable tv shows, and I ate fast food, oh well

Rock on everyone!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A bit down over the weekend so did a bit of extra self inventory stuff.

Hmmmm! Not sure about a treat. Thinking about a bit of power walking......trick or treat?
Not sure, but its good for me.A
Old 08-10-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No half measures

1. coffee with the dogs in the morning
  2. great AA meeting
  3. baby sitting my wonderful grandson
  4. walking the dogs with my wife
  5. great dinner at a nice resturant
  6. ALL WITHOUT ALCOHOL
Old 08-10-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Thats awesome wakko!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Being completely sedentary the last couple of years, I started a walking program a few days ago. My plan is to increase the distance I walk each day as well as the pace. Today I walked about 3/4 a mile.

I indulged on a Big Mac from McDonalds and ate chocolate donuts dipped in coffee. I also took a nap and I am about to watch a movie. LIFE IS GOOD!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I got up early today and went on a hike with my dog Watched the sunrise. I find it very therapeutic to do 'naturey' things. Then I went to an AA meeting and had coffee and a cinnamon bun (indulgent!). I am normally all about healthy eating but since I've decided to be sober I am trying to be more lenient and treat myself.

Then I went and bought some stuff for my computer that I really needed. The guy at the store was a complete jerk to me.This normally would've stressed me out big time (huge issues with spending money and I have issues standing up for myself) but I handled it well for a change.

Despite this I haven't been having the best day. Anxiety is really creeping up on me because of issues with my landlord, an upcoming exam, and a very long shift in the morning.

But I am trying to stay positive and love myself
Old 08-10-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
kab

kab

hi I walk with a crucifix in my hand always praying to jesus my hp.i pray all day and night,it helps me,its my most powerful tool for keeping sober,i also go over the 12 steps each day even if I cant read the big book,i also talk to fellow aa folks,,that helps ,,GOD works thru people,i have found that out to be true a number of times,,,,,reading the 24 hr book each day is also helpful,,doing all this will help me today and will give me a strong foundation,,i will pray for you,,,,,have a great day