Notices

Struggling

Old 08-10-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

I am not sure if I am an alcoholic but the booze is bothering me. I have gained weight, I put myself in dangerous situations to get a greater high, I am constantly tired and yet every afternoon I feel a pull. I have gone sober for 1 month in the past fifteen or so years (last October and felt good). Currently, I am consuming roughly 3-4L of Vodka a week. The problem with quitting is I feel I have built my life, relationships, friends around alcohol.

I have Antibuse but I have yet to take the pill bc there is always some activity that I feel I need to be able to drink so I don't disappoint my friends or family.

JD
Old 08-10-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Talking

Welcome to SR! watch out with that Antabuse.. (if you need a Medical detox) it could be Dangerous.. this is a Great site Enjoy!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome.

It does sound like you would be feeling better without alcohol.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

The NHS here in the UK recomends a maximum of 4 units a day .. there are 40 in 1 L of spirit ..

Here is a link to the NHS UK website if you're unsure as to whats judged as sencible here in the UK. The risks of drinking too much - Live Well - NHS Choices

Why not give up drinking for 90 days or 6 months and see what effects it has on your life , most people i know think it's a good idea to question how much they drink and have time off and are supportive even when special occasions are scheduled .

Give it a try, what do you have to loose ?

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-10-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a lot of questions/thoughts/concerns when I was trying to figure out where alcohol and I were as far as our relationship. In the end after a horrific experience in the hospital with a head/brain injury, I decided that alcohol and I needed to end our relationship. I hope you keep reading through the various forums on this website....it is very supportive and informational!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
The problem with quitting is I feel I have built my life, relationships, friends around alcohol.
I have Antibuse but I have yet to take the pill bc there is always some activity that I feel I need to be able to drink so I don't disappoint my friends or family.
Many of us have to make major lifestyle changes to make recovery work. I had to remove a few people from my life, including a family member. I think it's sad that you believe you will disappoint family or friends if you don't drink. I hope you find people in your life who would accept you as a sober person.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Lots of ppl with the same story who've come out the other side sober and happy in AA. Maybe it's worth a shot?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

jdooner
Old 08-10-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! True friends will be understanding and supportive. As I read in a post here " vodka will pickle your liver " pretty effectively. Keep coming back. I have and I really enjoy the supportive company!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
The problem with quitting is I feel I have built my life, relationships, friends around alcohol.
This is a problem we all have to tackle. Most of us built our life around alcohol and it is tough to change that but not impossible. You will find lots of support here. One thing that really helped me was reading books by other people who have been through the same thing. There's an excellent list in the stickies

Welcome to SR x
Old 08-11-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome jdooner

My life was built around drinking too - if I wanted to stop drinking I needed to accept I had to change my life.

I'm glad I did tho - this new life suits sober me a lot better than my old life did

Have you seen a Dr about the antabuse?

D
Old 08-11-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very happy to meet you jdooner. I'm glad you are looking at what drinking is doing to your life. Some never think to question it until the damage is done. We're glad to have you join us.