Notices

Did life just become boring or did I just notice lol

Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did life just become boring or did I just notice lol

Hey 2 weeks Sober and I'm really board.

been watching tv like I used to do when I was drinking but it's really boring with nothing very interesting.

I used to love tv lol.

Did life really become boring or have I only just noticed.

I used to love being by myself when I was drinking now I'm alone I I'm going out of my head with boardom.

It makes me realize that my only real hobby or interest has been drinking.

How do u find out what your interested in or what you would like to do when you have no idea who you even are odf the booze.

No wonder people goto aa 3 times a day then they don't have the time to realize how empty their life is lol.

I value aa but I don't want it to be my life.

my question is what did others do or experience with this.

Jason
Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Give it a month and see how you feel. Also good to start hitting the library, pick up a hobby, start working out, volunteering, just do something. The more stuff that makes you feel good/accomplished/involved when you're sober, the better chance you have of staying off the sauce.

TV does kind of suck, though. Commercials just irritate me

oh 'grats on two weeks! keep on pushing ahead!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found it takes time to start picking up new (or old) hobbies. After a few months I found myself playing the guitar again, hiking, writing, reading, etc. It's like life snuck back into my life. But yeah, there was a period where I was in the doldrums wondering what to do when drinking/drugs were no longer in my life. I just started this journey a little over four months ago so I've just gotten started. It does get better though.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I went to meetings.. Not 3 a day, but I did do that. Started to journal, workout, I learned that I love to dance so I do that. Now I am not bored... Barely have enough time to fit it all in.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by newpower View Post
Hey 2 weeks Sober and I'm really board.

been watching tv like I used to do when I was drinking but it's really boring with nothing very interesting.

I used to love tv lol.

Did life really become boring or have I only just noticed.

I used to love being by myself when I was drinking now I'm alone I I'm going out of my head with boardom.

It makes me realize that my only real hobby or interest has been drinking.

How do u find out what your interested in or what you would like to do when you have no idea who you even are odf the booze.

No wonder people goto aa 3 times a day then they don't have the time to realize how empty their life is lol.

I value aa but I don't want it to be my life.

my question is what did others do or experience with this.

Jason
You are only at 2 weeks, so you are bound to have mood swings and be annoyed or depressed in general. Life is NOT boring sober, but you are definitely boring being a drunk.

Your addiction is just playing tricks trying to make the alcohol life seem that much better and more exciting. In order for recovery to work, you have to challenge yourself and step out of your comfort zone to combat the boredom. Once you get some more sobriety under your belt, you will experience a freedom unlike anything you have known so far.

Think about this, when you were a kid.........were you bored? NO, and you didnt drink, so dont let this temporary boredom sabotage your progress.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Went to two or three meetings a day when I first got sober. I needed all the help I could get, and I don't do sitting still well either. No Internet back then. Living in NYC makes it easy to find things to do, but you might be surprised at how many people never leave their apartments.

Didn't spend much time thinking about what I'd do, just did it. Running, martial arts, preparing for grad school, AA softball team and then softball team from work...anything people asked me to do that didn't involve alcohol. Helped friends move, sat in on classes at the Arts Students League, movies, hanging out in Central Park, the Cloisters, art museums, motion picture museum, lectures, Lincoln Center, Empire State Building, dinner with new friends, visiting my family on Sundays, volunteer work.

If I had enough time to think about what I was going to do, I'd often think myself out of doing it.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What activities or hobbies did you engage in BEFORE you started drinking? Maybe try to resurrect what interested you during your pre-drinking era. I am at 2 weeks and I sometimes get a little bored, but only for a little while. I try to break up my day by walking, cooking, reading, watching TV, surfing the internet, playing Iphone games and emailing or texting friends and family.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

An idea or two for ya......go to your meetings and volunteer being of service ( make the coffee,be the greeter,stay after and listen to one who needs to be heard,or ask someone if they'd like to go for coffee or ice cream). I now know that being of service to others, in whatever fashion, gets me out of my pity party,out of my way, and has opened the doors to lots of great things. You didn't mention if you're doing the Steps or have a Sponsor. Bored? Just an idea. :-D. Bobbi
Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Boredom is natures way of telling us we have spare capacity. I found the same thing with TV and now I rarely watch it. Over time I have found there is plenty to do- and if anything I do not have enough time- I took up songwriting and playing the guitar early in recovery.

I spent the first year slowly getting things together. I had years of tax returns to do- I cycled and got a bit fitter
Old 08-09-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im on day 40 and dusted off my bench press in the garage , I heard about it helping with anxiety and hopefully better sleep ..i looked like Shakes the Clown hitting those weights again , not a pretty sight
Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Once sober, you definitely have more space to fill. I think that comes in time. At two weeks your brain is still sorta trying to shift gears. I'm just over two months and I notice the changes occur gradually. We addicts our the instant gratification/alter our moods at will sorta beings. It takes time for your body and brain rhythms to find new balance. I try to be gentle with myself in recovery. I know at times I expect too much .too soon of sobriety. It takes times for everything to heal and repair.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is different being sober and it's odd in the beginning as you seem to have so much time on your hands.The days seem so long. the nights too,if you're not sleeping well

As time went on I realized it's not boredom though,it's just realizing that I used to do pretty much nothing but drink,blackout and waste my life away-my old life WAS boring

Now I have time to do new hobbies, pick up old ones,enjoy life and take my time doing things rather than rushing through them clock watching till wine o'clock comes round.Learning to enjoy life-takes time but you can do it
Old 08-09-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

2 weeks sober is really like a second in the grand scale of things . Being bored is better than poisening yourself alone in front of the tv , god anything is better than that . Give it more time and gpod luck.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Newpower (hug)

I was just chatting to someone in chat about exactly this! He has been clean/ sober for over four years now and assures me that this will pass.

I feel that simple things I used to do doesn't have the same "appeal" as before - like cooking! Cooking without wine seems boring! LOL
But, I know this is not true and its just my brain that needs to learn new ways - and.... I can really tell that cooking sober is much better when my food ends up looking like something delicious after I have cooked rather than a drunk messy pot of ?

You are doing great - one day at a time things will mend and life will change. We can expect all sorts of days in early recovery - this is something that I didn't anticipate. We will have good days, boring days, surprising days, down days...etc.... and its okay! Just ride with them - allow yourself to experience this new found sober world and find your beautiful self again.

Two weeks sober is fantastic - well done!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs
Shell