Notices

Here Goes......

Old 05-26-2004, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here Goes......

I've just answered my own question!!
Well, 30 days dry today (I won't drink to that!). This is my second attempt at sobriety, both with psychiactric & detox hospitalisation, but this is really my first wholehearted attempt. Getting treatment for alcoholism here in the UK is very difficult and very limited, it's only administered by GP assessment.
Unfortunately, I have a very addictive character so I just wasn't strong enough to do this without medication. Unfortunately my local AA group aren't as supportive and as welcoming as I would of hoped, but I live in a typically British upper class city where reserve is the norm even amongst the alcoholics! So, I'm doing it, with the aid of acupuncture also, which was an idea I wasn't over keen on at first, I was dismissive of all that alternative therapy stuff, but it is wonderful and I am so glad that I agreed to it and now recieve it 3 times a week...highly recommended for detox.

Anyway, I'm feeling really positive at the moment so I've decided not to actually post my story today as a: I don't want to bring myself down and b:It's a long one! But I've been coming here and looking for three days now and I am so relieved I did. I've read the stories, the threads, the advice and so much of it rings true...as in how we all got to where we got in drink.

There's also some really profound statements and quotes, all of which are so positive and I really don't feel like I'm alone in this now. When I was drunk, obviously I'd never of come to one of these sites, but now I'm freeing myself there are also times when you can feel quite alone in that....friends and family are very supportive, but they've never been where I got to, so they can't really understand the complexities of fighting the devil and returning to society. I could try and explain it to them until the cows come home, but I don't need to now......I've found you lot!
Thanks for reading.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
knucklehead

mrs mipsy. i am glad you have found the site. congrats on gatting your 30 + days of soberity. that is great. i will look foward to reading you as you progress foward.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Congratulations on your 30 days! Everyday sober is a blessing! I'm glad you found us! Keep coming back!!

Hugs,
Missy
Old 05-28-2004, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Great! Keep up the good work. And don't let that "reserve" stuff get you down. What you are doing is awesome! Remember that, above all...
Shalom!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY M.MIP,WELCOME.GLAD YOUR HERE.
30 DAYS SOBER.YEE HAA.I ALSO DO ACUPUNTURE THERAPY,REAL RELAXING FOR ME.
KEEP POSTING LOTS OF GREAT PEOPLE HERE......ted
Old 06-02-2004, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile Thanks

Thank you everyone for all the good messages. Well, I'm still dry and taking my meds. I still feel a little physically unwell with my stomach, but that is a side effect of the drug, just gets me down sometimes....need to know where the nearest toilet is on all trips out!!!

Summer's on the way over here, we actually saw the sun this week! Outside all the bars and pubs tourists and locals are sipping their drinks in the heat, that's a bit of a toughie, sitting by the river without a beer on a summer's evening, but I'll get through it.

I have yet to attend a function of any kind and recieved an invitation by a friend to her big birthday party. It's gonna be a bit weird because three of my good friends who know about my addiction will be there. So far they haven't drank alcohol in front of me since I've been dry, but I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable about having a drink and I know they will...I'll talk to them and hope the little sh*t in my head doesn't start giving me grief....the 'Just the one won't hurt syndrome'. I am wise to him and I fight him so well, but I just don't even want him to come to the party with me! know what I mean?!!

Anyway, still enjoying every day of my sobriety and waking up in the morning is tops.
I am following your threads too kckman, moving house,what an adventure, what a great opportunity, good luck on that and with your sobriety.

Thanks again all.
Mrs Mipsy.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
New and Unsure

Mipsy,

You know i so know how you feel about the summer. It is like a day at the lake comes hand in hand with a beer. You know how I have gottne past that? I got and get somthing special that I dont drink any other time. That way i have somthing I like in my hand and it make me not think about the beer as much. Just and Idea! You can do it at the bar too. But you know I just dont like them very much anymore.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

Mrs. Mipsy,
I believe I neglected welcoming you...
My apologies...
WELCOME!
Old 06-02-2004, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
knucklehead

mrs. m, thanks for keeping up with my post. i have been looking foward to read you as well. as far as the moving goes my wife s last day at her job was yesterday. we are both unemployed for short term fortunatly we both have positions waiting for us. we have been busy this morning packing. it is going along smootly. we are torn up about leaving our home friends and work that we have made here. we have made a choice to move and it is a great adventure.thanks for asking.

as far as the little s##t where ever we go the little basturd goes. be strong you have discovered a taste of freedom from the intoxicateng fluid for alittle while. we got to learn to stop believing that lie. one drink ha! ha! if we give into that well we know the ugle consequences. go to the party and drink any thing but alcohol i am sur eyour friends will respect your decision. when i tgets weird the weird get going. hey i would rather be weird sober then be drunk and weird.
glad to read you again stay in touch with all of us.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Congratulations on your 30 days! Keep coming back as they say!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days, keep posting.

Summer does get better.It's pretty cool when you can actually remember a summer trip or outing.

Laurie D
Old 06-02-2004, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Mrs. Mipsy
Good to see you again! I am so glad you are here.

Congratulations on 30 days....

I do something similiar to Jennifer. I do it at weddings and other places where I just want to be as normal feeling as possible and not feel like a misfit because I choose not to drink in our oh so alcohol everywhere world.
I take my bottled Perrier and drink it out of a champagne or wine glass. I soo enjoy lovely stemware. This also prevents people from offering you a drink or insisting that you have just one for the toast. I always feel special and not left out when I order a nice mineral water when in a restaraunt. I am putting something nice into my temple, and it is still cheaper than booze...in more ways than one.
:beerchug: Care for some lemonade?