Notices

New and scared

Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and scared

Just started sobering up. Went to my first AA meeting last night and was quite inspired. Going again tonight. Just trying to find my way and after last night's meeting, I don't feel quite so alone.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Welcome roberooski. Between SR and AA you have some awesome resources to help you in your journey. All the best to you.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks!

I'm detoxing today so I feel miserable. Wicked anxiety and nausea.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Roberooski.
Know that the choice is is your hands and you never have to feel this way again if you don't want to.

The anxiety and nausea will pass. Be kind to yourself during this time. Eat well, rest well. Try to do things that fill your time and fill your soul.

Make a plan for your recovery. Make plans for your new life, not chained to a bottle. Not hiding or lying or feeling hungover in the morning.

It gets easier. Just ride today. Tomorrow, ride tomorrow. Things will change.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel your pain, I was like that days ago. Anxiety, dread, impending sense of doom, on top of hangover ailments such as nausea and severe headache. AA meeting helped me also, after three days the fog hasn't yet lifted but at least I have hope. Good luck to you!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support!

Hate the way I feel right now but I hate being drunk worse. I have so much that I can and will lose if I keep following this pattern.

I heard so many resonating messages last night that made me realize that I wasn't alone and it's going to get better. Right now I just feel like absolute sh*t (sorry!). I'm at work and wish I could go home but I left early on Wednesday and was "working from home" yesterday (heard this at the meeting last night - Have you missed work because of drinking? Um....resounding yes.)

My 18 year old daughter told me flat out after I told her last night that I'd been at an AA meeting that she's heard this all before. Have your family members forgiven you for promising, even when you so strongly believed it when you made the promise, that you'd stopped drinking?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hey Roberooski.

Glad to hear you were able to find some common ground at a meeting. For me it's been indispensable through my recovery to hear from others that there's always a solution available that doesn't entail drinking.

The initial detoxing from alcohol is brutal. That's quite true. Just don't lose sight of the good news, once you're done with this phase you needn't ever have to go back to it. It'll be over before you know it.

Thanks for being here.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds good. Go to the meetings and come here. Good job. It will get easier.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

R..ski keep moving forward it's not easy early on but the reward is fantastic!!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome rooberoski!

I lived on this forum for the first couple days. It helped just knowing that others have been through the same thing and understood what I was going through.

Be good to yourself and take it in manageable bites (like just staying in the moment and getting through the next hour or the next minute). I tried looking at it as though I were recovering from the flu and treated myself accordingly.

Glad you went to a meeting and have joined us here - things really will get better, so hang in there!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome roberooski

D
Old 08-09-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome roberooski. It's great to have you join the family. We all understand how you're feeling right now - I hope it helps to ease your anxiety a bit.

As for what your daughter said - I know it hurts, but try to focus on yourself right now. My family & friends were totally confused by my behavior & never understood it. As I healed and left the crazy drunk me behind - they all came around. It took awhile, but it happened. Be kind and patient with yourself and everything should fall into place. Congratulations for making this big change in your life.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your words of encouragement! Day 2 and wondering if I should go to a meeting tonight - how often did you go at first?

Feeling much better physically today - almost 100%. Still a tiny bit foggy but significantly better. At least I'm not nauseous and shaky / jittery. Looking forward to tomorrow and feeling even better. Oh, and I slept REALLY good last night, surprisingly! I did take Trazadone, which I do have a prescription for but haven't taken in a long time. I wanted to be sure to start off with a good night's sleep.

So thank you again to everyone who even just read my post!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I made a meeting everyday as long as work didn't keep me away. They suggest making 90 meetings in 90 days. It's not always possible but something to shoot for. The first 3 months is a very critical part of recovery!