Notices

Newcomer here

Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer here

So, after a few weeks of trying to moderate my drinking. Ive realised last night after I got drunk with a friend that it just isnt working for me. Im going to my first AA meeting this evening. My partner agreed to come with me. Im scared and nervous. But my life, health and relationship mean too much to me, I wont let wanting a couple glasses of wine take that away from me. Im irish and live in germany, but managed to find an international english speaking AA group in the next town, they do 2 meetings a week. Can anyone let me know what to expect? or Tips for a newbie sober person. I think my partner will probably go off the booze as well, tho he is a perfectly sensible drinker. I think he will do it just to support me. This is the beginning of the weekend when I would normally have a nice bottle of wine tonight and tomorrow. So its gonna be strange not to have that and probably be abit difficult for me.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Àine
Old 08-09-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Miaine! You've come to a real good helpful place. Keep coming back cause you will find support here. Like some other folks I'm at work so just saying hello. I'll be back hope u will too!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good decision! Many of us, me included, came to the same decision. Moderating my drinking, or trying to, was exhausting.

I'm not an AA person, but my advice for the very early days is to change your routines. Plan to be doing something else at the time of day when you would normally be drinking. Shop at different stores, anything that helps to break the habit at the beginning.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My husband stopped drinking when I did (he drank rarely and very little to begin with). I think that helps a lot. It also sounds like you figured out the moderation problem pretty quick. I think you stand a good chance of getting sober and staying sober on your first try. Good luck and don't get complacent and don't start thinking "I don't really have a problem" as the sober time passes.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. It is really wonderful that your partner is so supportive. You can do this. Sobriety is so much better. I'm sure you will receive much good advice at the meeting. Good choice!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome

I am just about to leave work for what I hope will be a first sober Friday in a long time. I have tried to plan it to make as smooth as possible thats about all I can suggest for now pretty new at this myself. It's not easy but waking up sober tomorrow is going to be so sweet. xx
Old 08-09-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am an AA guy.
The only thing that worked for me.

I guess my advice would be to go with an open mind. And if it is an open meeting with a speaker, if you cant relate to them, go again. Keep going until you enjoy going. Then decide.