Notices

To our lurking friends... come on in, the water is fine!

Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Smile To our lurking friends... come on in, the water is fine!

Hi friends!
We are a supportive, non -judgemental group who has heard it all. I promise you we won't be shocked by your story, we will understand and even see a little of ourselves in your words. We extend our experience, strength, and hope. It is a two way street too, don't think you are bothering anyone with your stories or questions. We all learn and get help from everyone - no matter how much sober time we have.

Jump in and swim with us. We will laugh and cry with you. Read our stories, ask your questions, feel the hope. Keep coming back, keep reading, keep posting. Remember that we won't judge you, we will offer you support and give you our experiences to show you that you are not alone.

Welcome to Sober Recovery

Old 08-09-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I especially have a warm spot for newcomers as if like me there are so many things I was ignorant about in relation to consuming alcohol and the way to stop sucking in that toxic drink. The challenge for me/us is being honest with ourselves regarding it. Next for me was the fact that I could not drink in safety. Then the journey began. BE WELL
Old 08-09-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Absolutely - water is comfortably warm, no sharks, and baywatch is great)
Old 08-09-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reading and posting here has really strengthened my determination - I feel like I have myself under control. I can't stress enough how important a support group like this is. Thanks to SR for being here for everyone!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Absolutely - water is comfortably warm, no sharks, and baywatch is great)
Uh oh, I have to put on a bathing suit? I may live in Florida, but I avoid the sun so much I look like Casper!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Newcomers help keep me sober.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi - im just concerned about going too public with my drinking problem. Not that I want to continue drinking and hiding - but I can't be viewed as someone who has a weakness or makes bad decisions. (obviously I've made bad decisions if I'm here). I don't want some aspects of my life and social life to change "oh here comes drinking problem guy" . I don't want to aspects of my relationships to change - that is I don't want to somehow to be less creative and fun. I was thinking of just telling my wife I don't want anything to change but my drinking. I was thinking of telling others that I have developed an allergy to alcohol. I was also thinking that some of my fears were just that "voice" trying to keep itself alive. Is that voice that tricky? Are these irrational fears and things will actually get better?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bills395 View Post
Hi - im just concerned about going too public with my drinking problem. Not that I want to continue drinking and hiding - but I can't be viewed as someone who has a weakness or makes bad decisions. (obviously I've made bad decisions if I'm here). I don't want some aspects of my life and social life to change "oh here comes drinking problem guy" . I don't want to aspects of my relationships to change - that is I don't want to somehow to be less creative and fun. I was thinking of just telling my wife I don't want anything to change but my drinking. I was thinking of telling others that I have developed an allergy to alcohol. I was also thinking that some of my fears were just that "voice" trying to keep itself alive. Is that voice that tricky? Are these irrational fears and things will actually get better?

"Here comes that guy with the drinking problem" is something I feared as well, after going relatively public to my friends and family (I kinda had to, as I went away to treatment). Speaking from experience, it's something you have to get over in your own mind, as opposed to the minds of others. You have to develop a "so what?" attitude. But it makes you stronger. Ever see a guy with just one arm, buying groceries or driving a car? Or a blind person navigating their way downtown using the subway? These people have very visible problems, yet at some point they got over it, said "so what" and just went about living their daily lives the best way they could.

Having an alcohol problem is not visible - we've got it easy. 99% of people we meet or see will have no clue that we're "damaged". The problem is dealing with our feelings towards the 1% that do know. For me, I don't want pity - I don't want anyone to change around me. I just want basic acceptance. Thing is, I can't control what other people think. And getting sober has helped me realize that. Getting sober opens up huge philosophical windows and gives you a new perspective on living. And when you finally stop being so defensive and nervous about it, it's a really liberating feeling.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bills395 View Post
I was thinking of telling others that I have developed an allergy to alcohol.
I tell people that I am working on my health and I am not drinking anymore.

I have yet to have anyone question it - they don't have an opinion about my drinking or not drinking. They don't give it a second thought.

Sometimes we put too much weight on "what others think" of us. When, in reality, they are not thinking about us at all.