Notices

How long does detox from alcohol generally take??

Old 08-08-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long does detox from alcohol generally take??

Ok so im on day 17 with no alcohol and no cigarettes and I was wondering how long does detox usually take?? I have read that it can take a few days or even weeks. Physically im feeling great but I do seem to still have the insomnia and occasional anxiety. I know it varies from person to person. Any information would be helpful! Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think acute withdrawal is days, but you are still going to be dealing with some fallout from drinking for weeks and months afterwards. It is just your body adjusting and healing itself. Well done on 17 days! That's awesome x
Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 17 days sober.

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The physical withdrawal for me ended after a few weeks. I still have anxiety from time to time but nothing like what it was the first month. Could be i always had the anxiety and never noticed because I was drunk for so many years though! Great work on 17 days - if you have specific health concerns see your doc of course.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 14 and don't have any withdrawal symptoms at all anymore. The first few days were the worst for me and even then I didn't have severe symptoms.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, after a solid binge it takes 8 days. By solid binge I mean a week of drinking every day. But you are correct. Everyone is different.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey thanks everyone! I didn't really have any physical issues, it has mostly been in my head I think. Things have been pretty normal for about the last week. I read something that got me wondering and couldn't seem to find an accurate answer so I figured I could post on here and probably get an idea.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dismember

It all depends on the particular symptoms you're looking at. If you were having shakes and bad night sweats after 17 days I'd probably be pleading with you to get to the emergency room. If it's anxiety and bad sleep... I've read anywhere from a few months to a couple years for it to fully disappear. In my case it just gradually started to fade. I couldn't have marked a date when I was noticeably "detoxed."
Old 08-08-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well I have never had the shakes, or the majority of the symptoms for that matter so I guess im not typical. Then again what alcoholic is? lol Its just insomnia mostly now and occasionally anxiety. Its like after the day is over I just cant wind down. My body gets tired but my mind doesn't seem to no matter how physically exhausted I am. I guess it could always be worse though!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Ironman9292 View Post
Ok so im on day 17 with no alcohol and no cigarettes and I was wondering how long does detox usually take?? I have read that it can take a few days or even weeks. Physically im feeling great but I do seem to still have the insomnia and occasional anxiety. I know it varies from person to person. Any information would be helpful! Thanks in advance!!
It can vary, but what you described sounds about right. The no smoking thing will linger as far as withdrawal and emotional moodswings are concerned. For me, when I stopped drinking I had 2 weeks of horrible sweats, anxiety, sick to my gut, etc. After that, I had bouts of anxiety that came and went, and with time they became less and less a problem, and I got healthier and healthier. Now I am at 2 years and feel pretty amazing. I have off days, but thats just part of being human. Congrats on your sobriety.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Its been a growing process from then up until now, and I continue to feel better each day, while learning to trust myself and to handle life on life's terms without using or taking the easy way out. I really enjoy it all.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ironman9292 View Post
I De- toxed for 3 days at Kaiser. I really felt normal,no shakes or sweats, etc. After that I immediately went into a 30 day Rehab House. Still feeling fine until the nighttime...my brain would not stop chattering!! The other women in the house, and my counselor's said that was normal. It took me over 1 week to not hear my brain blabbing! So, 17 days, you be the judge. But from heresay , when I was in the House that seems a normal range. Anxiety? I've been on Paxil for about a decade. I can't recommend anything for you for insomnia.
Things I Did & Do Now:
In Rehab we were kept constantly busy, meetings,workshops, more meetings, journaling, exercising daily, eating healthy.... So by 9:00pm I was pooped. I also woke up on my own about 5:00am. Today, I go to meetings daily. Have a Sponsor, journal, go to the gym, meditate, do assignments, read, meet with other members to socialize a bit, Saturday is Big Book Study, bake homemade treats for my meetings (a simple way that I m of service in some way everyday), you get the general idea. I find being active in my Recovery (which is now my day to day life) has many, many benefits. Hang in there, just for the rest of the day. It (anxiety, insomnia) will work itself out, as you do the work.
Bobbi
Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

From what you have said, physically your doing great! Its the mental part that will take some time. I am approaching 1 month and my anxiety is out the roof, literally. I get hyped up stressed out and darn near full blown panic attack.

But then i stop take a huge breath. "I am in excellent shape, this anxiety is trying to control my body. But i will not let it, for its not real". It then passes as it always does and life goes on. It will get better day by day. Best of luck to you!