Notices

That Time

Old 08-08-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That Time

Its getting to be that time of day again.... Closing in on 2PM. This is the time of day I start to talk myself out of quitting or quitting "later"... You know," just one more 6-pack" plus the 2 singles I drink on the way home. Usually by 4 I'm completely convinced. Even as I type this, the back of my mouth is watering in anticipation of that first cold sip of Blue Moon. I'm like Pavlov's dogs over here!

I've been reading and even participating in posts all day. I really want to make it to Day 2.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Flea, can you drive a different route home? Stop at a convenience store and buy an iced tea/soda to quench your thirst?

The first few days aren't easy, but getting past day 1 will give you a feeling of accomplishment I'm sure. It is worth it!
Take it easy on yourself, just don't drink today!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate to that.

Different routes home can be good. I also gave myself something concrete to look forward to other than drinking. Good food. A good movie. Exercise.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The first day sober has to start sometime. Make it today. Say no to the voice in you head that says, "Make today the last day you drink. Quit tomorrow." That's the addiction.

Say yes to your decision to, "Make this the first day of your new sober life."
Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haha! I made it home without an unfortunate detour! Whoop whoop!!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Congrats , its an Awesome feeling , isn't it ?

Everyday you defeat your AV will inspire the next

Before you know it you'll have several days

Tr
Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also made it home but it's only 5 minutes to the liqour store. Today is day three and I am jonesing really bad right now! Haven't slept for two nights and having nightmares. Only 5 minutes to the liqour store!!! HELP!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just went through the same thing. At the store after work, hungry, no kids with me, and I had myself convinced that it was no big deal just to drink a couple of beers today after a hard day after I've been sober for 3 weeks now. What saved me..I thought of that first beer, and then the second one. Every time I drink after a good period of abstinence, it never feels good, at all. But yet I still want to keep drinking. And so the cycle would continue. Not this time. Stay strong guys...it may suck now, but it's only temporary. Tomorrow you will be so happy that you persevered!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks forabetterlife.
I am not that far along yet....I think it would feel really good. But I am not going to go to liqour store because of your last sentence....I know tomorrow I will be so pissed at myself and feel totally guilty. Plus my stomach hurts from all the whiskey/beer I have consumed in the past weeks.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Flea View Post
Haha! I made it home without an unfortunate detour! Whoop whoop!!
You ok mate ?

Rootin for you

Tr
Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well this is the hardest thing I have ever done! Not going to store. Want to really bad!!! I was ready to quit 6 years ago this month. It was easy then. This time I don't want to quit. Have to cause my stomach hurts and all the other health and money reasons. HATE THIS!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Imdoingit.... Stay strong!!

I'm fixin to go lay down. It will be interesting to see how my "morning pavement meditation" in the morning.... I haven't ran without a hangover for at least a year.

I do have one question though.... I keep seeing people posting about not being able to sleep. Is it a bad idea to take a couple Tylenol PM s or is that counter productive? I do not have a drug addiction... Just alcohol (specifically beer).
Old 08-08-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Flea
There are many traps out there and old habits die hard.
Consider all the bad stuff and why you really want to stop drinking.
Non drinking socializing is a real option; it's hard to go it alone.
By planning each day as a sober one you very much improve your odds.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm day 3 too buddy and I know the feeling. It does get better significantly each day though. I've been having some awful vivid night terrors the past few nights but I'm sure they too will subside.

We can do this, drinking again will only bring back that pain with a vengeance afterwards, you gotta convince yourself it's not worth the short term 'gain' to drink, well that's what I'm trying anyway!

Stay strong

P.s Flea. Last time I detoxed I was prescribed some sleeping meds and Valium for a very short period and they really did help getting over that initial hump for the first few days/nights. This time I'm just sticking it out, off this week anyway so it's not a big concern if I'm especially tired tomorrow, least ill be sober.

Take care
Old 08-08-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I keep telling myself give it a week. Then you will feel so much better I think day three and four will be the hardest!! I want to sleep without nightmares and sleep all night through. So if I give in for even one night... I will have to start this nightless scary sleep all over again. But yet...I still want a drink(s).
Old 08-08-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ya gotta do something to take your mind off it. Leash up the dog and go for a walk. No dog? Just go for a walk and think about how good you will feel tomorrow for two reasons - you made it through day one and you're not hungover/had a bad night's sleep.

Hang in there!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Stomach pain is usually one of the first symptoms of liver damage. I was getting stomach pain the last couple months before I quit drinking. Dying from cirrhosis is a very slow, painful death. The thought of that alone GREATLY helps me to stay sober.

Eat some food to take away the cravings. Heck, indulge in sugary treats if you have to in order to get through the urges. As far as insomnia, I do take OTC meds for that but I have also found that a couple tablespoons of raw honey and a glass of milk really help me get to sleep and sleep sound.