Notices

Lurker

Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lurker

I've been lurking around here for months but haven't posted anything or even attempted to quit.
Laying here the morning after feeling blah and shameful I have decided its time. I have thought this before but by about 2pm I talk myself out of it and after work at 4pm I'm buying my daily libations.
I need to find a way get past that critical time when my car swerves into the store.
Day 1.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Flea and welcome to SR, this is a great place to find advice and support.

Well done on making that decision. Make today the first day of your new life. Try driving a different route home today, avoid the temptation altogether x
Old 08-08-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Hi Flea
Welcome to SR... Can you drive home a different route home ... so you don't go past the store ?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Flea. Also here on Day 1 and it's not easy. But we can do this!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flea View Post
I've been lurking around here for months but haven't posted anything or even attempted to quit.
I never attempted to quit either, well at least not for me.

I did "try" one time nine years ago but again it was not for me. It was for a person, the only person, in my life that ever challenged my drinking behavior. Needless to say that did not work and after five dry months I drank again. I never looked back. I felt no guilt or remorse. I just went on with my life and continued to drink.

A little over four months ago I had a moment, maybe the first, that I wanted to quit. It was over. I no longer wanted it and I reached out for help.

We all start with day one. Take it one day at a time. Just say to yourself that you will not drink today and only today. If you find you are fighting with it then you can agree, if you chose, to drink tomorrow, but not today.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Welcome Flea, you sound so much like me! I had to loath myself for blooming years before I finally got the courage to post here, and then a few slips before sticking to my path. A good friend always says, once you accept your problem, even if you keep indulging it, the feeling is never quite the same. Make today the day you change your life for the better! All good advice above, also look at the 'class of August 2013 thread for others stopping this month, plenty of advice and support there
Old 08-08-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Flea and congrats on your decision to quit. I look forward to reading about your journey.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kys

Hi Flea, I can definitely relate to the 'afternoon dive' as I've referred to it. Woken up many many times absolutely sure I wouldn't drink that night, and unfortunately that hasn't often gone to plan. I'm getting my day 1 together again and working on my plans to tackle this.

Great news is there's is so much positive, constant and unconditional support here and if I hadn't found this place I'd be in a much worse place than I am now and likely had none or little of the success that I have over the months.

Post, read, hang around. Join our August class too if you like
Old 08-08-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome flea! Taking that drive home and bypassing that liquor store can be the first of many old habits you relearn to do. Glad you joined SR is a gift to the newly sober!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Flea and Alphabet!