Notices

Exercise helping sobriety

Old 08-08-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise helping sobriety

So I am on day 7 of no beer and cigarettes and I was feeling bad earlier, so I went for a long walk. Do any of you exercise as part of your recovery and if so how has it benefited you? I think my daily walks are key to me developing a sense of accomplishment which helps me grow.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I use exercise as a means of stress-relief. It helps enormously and I no longer have anger as an excuse to drink!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If anything, I exercise too much now that I am sober. I used to exercise when I drank aswell, but I feel the results and quality of my workouts are a lot better sober.

Another thing that really helps me too is juicing, like with fruits and veggies. Every morning I load up my nutribullet with fruits, veggies, granola, honey; literally all types of things. I found it's helped me tremendously.

Out with all the negative and in with all the positive!! Keep up the good work!!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started walking more as my cholesterol was too high but I do know that exercise also helps generate our "happy/feel good" neurotransmitters and for this recovering alcoholic this is okay with me!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes indeed. Bike riding is a hobby I recently picked up. I really enjoy being outside with the wind in my face and pedaling. It's a great stress release. I also go to the gym and do some weights/cardio on other days. Also a good way to release and get healthy.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kys

I need to take a leaf out of your book Acheleus
Old 08-08-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I was inspired with weights many years ago
from a friend. To feel the muscles in an arm,
biceps, shoulder, chest, the strength there,
bulging strong, curling, pushing, power.....

I absolutely love it.

I subscribed to Muscle and Fitness magazines
for quite a few years back in the day which kept
me interested, motivated and inspired.

I always remember something I either read
about or heard, that weight lifting releases
something inside you that can ward off illnesses.
So, for me, ive been blessed either with good
gens or good health due to exercising with
weights.

I bought my own free weight way back when
when I was in my late 20's I think. I have an
incline bench, barbell, dumbells, vertical squat
machine as well and a Leverage squat/calf
machine. Various other smaller pieces of equipement
to target and isolate muscles.

Back in the day when drinking, I would have a
gym membership and would go for about a month,
gun ho and stop. Eventually, I decided to get my
own weights and equipements to work out at my
own pace, convenience and privacy. So now there
is no excuse to pick them up or get outside to
mow the grass.

Eating right, excericing, take vitamins, don't over
do it, work out properly can and will help anyone
to become as healthy as one can be.

Recovery Strong..!!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I too like topflight use my nutra bullet every morning. Exercise and proper diet have been the key to my recovery. I am a very excessive and I'm changing very bad habits to extremely good ones . If I'm going to put forth all this time/energy into taking care of myself it makes it easier for me to stay sober. I like how I feel and don't want to undo it all by picking up a drink or drug. It takes a little time to break in those muscles and to develop a routine, but once you do your on your way. Its a lifestyle change for the better. Instead of self destruction is self repairing. I can't say enough how ths has helped me. When I have those urges to drink/drug I go exercise and it passes. I'm sure its not for everyone, I'm glad I have found something to help with my addiction. Everyone have a wonderful day. Peace
Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

I think exercise essential if recovering from alcohol or drug abuse, but just essential in living a good life. If we don't exercise our bodies and minds both deteriorate.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That is so awesome acheleus. When I'm mentally struggling in sobriety I often to this thing you may find helpful. I will do a walk that has a very LARGE uphill. I get to a place mentally where that uphill becomes my sober struggle literally. Visualize with every burning step climbing up that hill of recovery. Really be in your head. When I get to the top it's a euphoric feeling of peace physically and mentally. Don't be surprised if it brings on tears. I have done this an felt an overwhelming release and just cried. You are doing so well!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That is awesome exercise is a good tool we can use. I live in a hilly place and I will have to use that visual technique. I feel ok but I am so scared to start teaching for the first time and I wish I had more sober time, but I do not, and so I have three days to get my head straight before classes start. My confidence is low and I just want to feel proud and strong, so I will be exercising a lot this evening. I need to improve my diet though. Thanks for the response guys.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Almost every day I try to walk my dog.It's good for both of us.
I try to keep very active.If it's mowing grass or splitting and stacking wood,it's all good.

Everytime we exercise, the body releases chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception of pain.
Endorphins will also trigger a positive feeling in the body/mind.
Also helps with getting a good nights sleep.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I do yoga and running, both of which I love. In early sobriety, I find an short intense workout really helps diffuse the angry urges. The regular yoga and running help maintain a great feeling (as well as give me an excellent excuse to not drink, so I can be ready to exercise the next morning.)
Old 08-08-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
kab

take a walk

i walk every day from 30 to 45 min,i mainly walk to help my anger problem,,it also helps in my recovery,,because i feel better and when im feeling good i dont think about drinking or taking drugs,i dont need them,prayer also works it works very well,,i pray a lot when im walking my hp is with me
Old 08-08-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks kab. My long walks are like meditation for me. I listen to music and walk fast, knowing I am getting stronger every day.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I'm glad walking is working for you, Acheleus. I also find it very helpful and I do get a huge sense of accomplishment if I've walked a particularly long way or made it up a particularly tough hill. I had to remember to take it easy in my first couple of weeks though (I'm 32 days sober now). We can push ourselves too hard, especially in early recovery.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No job and I live in Thailand...Booze is cheap and cigs are like 35c a pack....but to stay sober I ride my bicycle for hours everyday....Hot most days here so can mountain bike of rode bike daily. That and swim 1000 meters a day...it gives me something to do otherwise I would for sure drink....so yes to your question...
Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I do believe exercise and a good diet help with recovery. I usually workout Monday - Friday for about an hour prior to getting ready for work. It helps with my stressful days as my job can sometimes be intense and I never pick up a drink during the work week and I always eat healthy. I love it.

I just don't workout on the weekends which is something I am going to have to start doing starting this weekend as the weekends are my trigger days and when I drink I don't eat. I am going to also walk walk walk this weekend until I pass out. I beats passing out drunk.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great thread! Interesting to see everyone's responses.

I've been bike riding a lot and I do yoga. I find yoga helps with staying present, mindfulness, coping with urges.
I recently joined a meetup hiking group, will go on my first hike with the group soon. Perhaps you could check out meetup walking groups in your area A?

Inperfectly, I read that when walking uphill, it's better to take small strides, it's less hard on your knees. I always used to take big strides, thought i was being more efficient but its not so apparently.

A, keep on walkin'!
Good luck next week!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Over 7 months sober and exercise has been the biggest key to my positive mood during sobriety. Started off with walks in the beginning and just enjoying being sober and out in nature. Road biking now, starting with 5-10 mile rides. Now up to 20, 40, and even 60 mile rides. Easy on the body and love going fast. Totally recommend it!