Notices

Exercise helping sobriety

Old 08-08-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Dismember

I exercise. I suppose I do consider it part of my recovery, although I've got a lot of other motivations not alcohol-related as well.

Exercise helps keep my moods elevated and stable. Being that I turned to alcohol 90% of the time in my heavy drinking era to cope with mental health problems, exercise has been a huge help there. It's also good for reducing urges/cravings as exercise produces chemicals in a way similar to the buzz of alcohol, only without the inevitable crash.

There's also a personal feeling of working toward something. Sort of a new habit to pick up. Last night I had one of the worst feelings of an urge to drink that I've had in a while. Among other things, I reminded myself that if I drank I wouldn't/shouldn't be able to make it to the gym this morning, which I plan to hit in about an hour.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My drinking trigger hits between leaving work and arriving home. This is when I stop at the store to buy liquor. Sometimes I'm so desperate I'll start drinking in the parking lot as soon as I get to the car. They I'll come home and sneak the bottles into the different hiding places I developed so I can continue drinking all night long. Hence, TrickyDave.

So what I've done the last few days, which has worked well, is to to a local lake with a hiking path and walk/listen to iPod instead of drinking. I walk for an hour and get home relaxed and happy. I don't even want to ruin the experience by having a drink. Looking at nature and lightly exercising is very peaceful to me.

Dreading the time change in the fall, but hopefully by then I will have cancelled out this trigger by then. Have to think of a new routine, but there's time.

This was suggested to me on this website, and I highly recommend it.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dave,I did the same thing.
Stashing booze all over the place to continue drinking.
Some day soon I'll have to go and remove all the empty bottles that are tucked here and there.

Anyways,I still walk after work during the fall and winter months.
I walk my dog along the back roads.Just make sure you wear something reflective and even get a collar of flasher or the dog.

The first time I had success quiting I got into a very interesting and somewhat addictive hobby that was done indoor.Kept my mind totally off drinking.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Exercise has helped me immensely not only in terms of my drinking but in terms of my depression/anxiety. The hardest part is getting to the gym. I often have to remind myself - I have never regretted a workout after I did it. I regret drinking - every time. You'd think such a rational thought would be easier to get through my brain!

Work it!!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have been running, walking, doing aerobic classes for years but now that I don't drink I just do it more. And the bonus is now I actually have goals rather than just fitting my workouts in between hangovers.

I am actually now losing weight too for the first time in years! I used to work out but never really get anywhere with it probably from all the calories of the alcohol. I also find when I am having one of those emotional type days where I don't know what to do with my feelings, I go for a walk and I find it really helps me work through the emotions.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 7. Walking is such a simple thing that we can do to help improve ourselves and i think it can easily be overlooked. I found walking and exercise to be of paramount importance to my recovery in early sobriety and this is still the case now. I walk and exercise to keep me in a good mind frame and this keeps me on track with my sobriety too. I would say that walking and exercise is definitely one of my main recovery tools.

When i was first getting sober i found that walking was the best method i found for keeping any negative thoughts, moods and worries at bay. My negative thinking and worrying is significantly less now ( i am ten months sober) but when i was in early sobriety i was swamped with these emotions and even more so when i was drinking. Anytime i felt like i was thinking about drinking or i felt sad and scared i would put my shoes on leave the house and go for a long walk. Day or middle of the night if necessary.

Although it seems simple i found walking and exercise to be the best tool for shutting my brain off, allowing me to relax and keeping me on track with my sobriety. It also led to other positive habits too. Because i walk and exercise i feel good, i eat healthily and have a good routine. All these elements are essential for keeping me focused and on track. It makes me feel good which makes want to improve my situation all the time and try and be a better person.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Because I have severe osteoarthritis, Lymes Disease and gout, I have had daily chronic pain for the last 3 years. Drinking made the pain worse. I have not exercised for the last few years and just walking to the bathroom caused real difficulty. HOWEVER, since I quit drinking and taking daily doses of raw honey and cinnamon, my pain has been gradually reducing to the point where I was finally able to take a walk today. I am taking baby steps, though. I am so out of shape, I don't want to overdo it. I am going to get on an exercise regime eventually, but right now I am just going to work on increasing the distance I walk each day.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Yes I do incorporate exercise into my recovery plan. I look at my recovery in a threefold way, spirituality, mind, and body. I try to focus on consistency and balance in each area.

Body wise I have refined my diet and I exercise every day which is usually 30-45 minutes. I do cardio and rotate weight lifting muscle groups. I have been sober (and smoke free!) 8 months today and I am in great shape. I've lost over 30 pounds in 8 months. I used to have a beer belly and people would make fun of me but not anymore. Its nice to have the confidence and energy that I get from it.

I think its great stress relief. It feels good to treat my body right, like I care about myself. And it teaches me that staying consistent brings positive results if I am willing to stay on the path through the ups and downs.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i commute to work on my bike and put in about 6-7 miles daily, sometimes more. i feel really refreshed when i bike and i think it's contributing to my overall well being. biking just makes me feel good, inside and out.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I began walking more in early sobriety....it really helped. I've continued with the walking and have added yoga a year later.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Exercise helps everything. I just feel better after moving. Even just walking for a bit can help. I've made it part of my routine which is all part of my recovery. It's mind AND body that I'm trying to heal. Exercise also allows me to eat more without upping my weight which is always a plus.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

When I did de -tox 19years ago and heavy in to benzos and booze I was described as one of the worst addicts they had seen, and I might well be dead except for my body building, cardio,and reasonable diet................................surely it is so much better for us still, in sobriety.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Legs21 View Post
Exercise has helped me immensely not only in terms of my drinking but in terms of my depression/anxiety. The hardest part is getting to the gym. I often have to remind myself - I have never regretted a workout after I did it. I regret drinking - every time. You'd think such a rational thought would be easier to get through my brain!

Work it!!
My hardest part is changing after workout for spa then dressing again....BORING!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Wow it is good to know exercise helps so many people. I never got much exercise with my ass parked on a bar stool.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Heck yes! Run, weights, workout videos, yes and more please. I only have an hour a day max, but I do it everyday. Nothing makes me feel better but exercise. I even have my own mantra:

"When in doubt, workout."
Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
So I am on day 7 of no beer and cigarettes and I was feeling bad earlier, so I went for a long walk. Do any of you exercise as part of your recovery and if so how has it benefited you? I think my daily walks are key to me developing a sense of accomplishment which helps me grow.
Its crucial for people in recovery to work out, its been my saving grace in life. I love it, I look forward to it. Why are you quitting both at the same times again? We know that wasnt a big hit last time, so why the self torture?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yea I have been craving a cigarette. I think smoking would help me keep the booze urges down.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Acheleus

Im quiting both cigarettes and alcohol. I do feel like awful and stress at times but its all about staying busy and productive. I'm going back to the gym tomorrow to help with the stress of starting sobriety. When I was in the gym a few weeks ago and smoking, I felt fatigue and wanted to throw up. The gym is another one of my motivation for sobriety. Four days sober today. Good luck to you. .