Notices

Support

Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support

My partner has just confessed to having a relapse to addiction he has called time on our relationship which is very sad because I would do anything for him and have also found out i am having his baby. I fear that he is shutting everyone around him away and not sure what to do some friends (that don't understand) use the term mug for me wanting to stick and support him, but am I though has anyone else been in this situation if so should I stick and fight and support him as much as I can or should I walk away as painful as that is I believe in him and I believe he can fight his demons again.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ec1502 you will find a lot of support here.

Sounds like he's taking care of what he wants.

I'm sure you are, but I think more importantly is the health and welfare
of yourself and your baby. Congratulations!

You may want to check out Alanon.

Also the SR friends and families forums are very helpful
Old 08-06-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reply I just wish I could make him better with the click of my fingers I used to feel that he felt he didn't deserve a life of happiness which makes me sad because everyone deserves happiness xx
Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi ec.

Google 'CRAFT'. It's a set of tools that helps people deal with someone who is active in alcoholism and other addictions. Originally designed for spouses, it's also useful for friends and family. It's geared to give the active person support in seeking treatment, and to protect you from all that entails. Then try to find a therapist who is trained to provide this service.

I don't have much else to offer, except to recommend the Friends and Family forum on SR. Relationships are complicated, even under the best of circumstances, and there is rarely a simple solution when things go sideways.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow all this support and iv only been active for an hour I am overwhelmed by all the support I am receiving so far thank u for the advice I will get on case and check out "CRAFT" again many thanks for all advice I am very much appreciated xx
Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. Good advice above. Let me add that we can not get anyone to stay sober. The person with the problem is the "fixer" by keeping/getting themselves honest with themselves. AL Anon has helped many over the last 75 years. BE WELL
Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you visch 1 he's going to a meeting tonight which is a big step I keep reminding him that I will be there for him if he wants me to is that a gud thing as not sure what I should or shouldn't stay as don't want to make him feel weak or anything
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No half measures

Support but not enable is the key. Alanon will teach you the difference and as importantly how to take care of yourself
Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Us even though I'm in recovery alanine is the place for you to go.i know for myself when I'm using I tend to shut everyone out,mostly cause I feel guilty,there's a lot of guilt involved in addiction but support once I see my way is very helpful,I always post this..you save yourself or you remain unsaved ....he's got to want to get better but I think knowing your behind him will defiantly make him feel like alls not lost..best to you both and good luck with the lil one....😄😄😄😄😄😄
Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry auto correct..alanon
Old 08-07-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just want to say thank you to everyone for their advise iv sat down today with him and had a heart to heart and it was heartbreaking because he helped me to understand his feelings and emotions but he's going to except my support and let me work with him in his recovery so thank you all for your supporting messages and advice xx