Notices

Want to give up

Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Right here and staying clean. Feeling better.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations on six days with no alcohol or cigarettes. The fact that you are having a tough time and managing to resist both of those things is a big achievement!. You should feel proud of yourself for that. I agree that comparing yourself to others in your program is not the most useful thing to do. Everyone has their issues and problems even though they are not always obvious. You are there because you are just as capable as they are. You should believe that.

If you stick with it and stay sober you can break this cycle and hopefully as you say you will be closer to finding out what makes you happy.... Stay strong and try and have a peaceful night.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you Hayley. I am going to be nice to myself in ways that doesn't involve alcohol or cigs.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think it's the quitting smoking that's making you so irritable and antsy. The last time I tried (unsuccessfully) to quit smoking I felt like punching everyone I saw in the knee cap for about 10 days. I was also completely obsessed with cigarettes. It's like I was constantly focused on the fact that I wasn't smoking, almost to the detriment of anything else. After those 10 days it was like I reached a sort of Zen. I noticed I hardly ever thought about how I wasn't smoking and the irritability abated. If you're almost there, I suggest sticking it out, it's almost over. Or, if you think you may have bitten off more than you can chew (and there's nothing wrong with that, you've embarked on quite the undertaking), light one up and then try to quit again in 6 months like you said. Otherwise, you'll be setting yourself up for a binge. There is a lot of truth to the Weight Watchers principle that denying yourself constantly will cause you to derail and binge. Good luck, friend. I'm pulling for you!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You're welcome. I think that being nice to yourself is a great idea. You are having a tough time and you are still attending your training and resisting the alcohol and cigs. You are trying your best. Anyone would find it a challenge but you are doing it. Treat yourself well.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

When I first decided to quit drinking, I was also going to quit smoking too. That didn't happen and I'm glad because continuing to smoke has really helped to keep me sober. I do plan on quitting smoking, but that is down the road after I got more sobriety under my belt. But kudos to you for quitting both at the same time! You are AMAZING!
Old 08-07-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi - I don't really know about smoking cos I ve never smoked thank goodness because that would just have been something else I would have been addicted to !! BUT my husband and all my whole family mum dad brothers sisters are big smokers and I have watched and listened to them for years, It seems to me and I may be wrong but it just sounds so difficult to stop smoking , I know about drink how hard hard hard that is to give up AARGH -805 days !!! but it seems that a drink goes hand in hand with a cig SO if you don't drink it may lessen your urge for a cig -- ??? It would be great to give up both but I think it will be hard to do both at the same time BUT you have managed up to now -- so could you keep going keep going keep going !! xxxxxxxx Good Luck x That was a very long winded message but I hope it makes sense ! Ha x While you continue to stop drinking everything will come clearer and less depressing in your life x and see your doctor about your medication xx
Old 08-07-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am just scared about teaching, taking three classes, writing all the time, trying to apply to a new program...I have to teach two classes and I have never taught before. I start Monday and I am really freaking out, but I guess I will just try to begin preparing. I have to grade some example papers tonight and then read 100 pages of a book. So I am just freaking out and I guess it makes me want a cigarette. Thank you guys for the support.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Who What are you teaching ?? x
Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

college freshman composition.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Do all your planning before weekend and then you are clear in your head and this will help keeping your mind off drinking as well. I m a teacher and feel so much more organised and ready for each day without a fuzzy head xxx Don't panic write some things down to organise yourself xxx
Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I will I have just have to get settled. I will walk again tonight, exercise really improves my mood, I just want to be able to handle the stress that is coming without drinking or smoking.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

That's amazing that you're taking on all those different things, Acheleus. You're really creating a very special life for yourself in sobriety. Like terry says, do your planning and preparation well in advance. You'll not only be ready, but knowing you're well prepared will make you more confident. I'm glad that you're going to do nice things for yourself as that will help counterbalance the working side of your life.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you. Heading off for more orientation. I hope I can get time to see my counselor today or tomorrow. I just want to be a healthy, sober person and a good teacher. I want to help people.