Notices

Aa and a box of tissues

Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Silvy69 View Post
I have to say one thing, even with this emotional rollercoaster that I am going thru I haven't even been tempted to drink, nor thought about when I was really crying last night... I think the crying is releasing tension and helping me stay sober.
You're welcome, Silvy. And you're right again. Trying to stifle your tears would do more harm than good, and allowing yourself to feel all your feelings will bring you to a better place.

We're raised in a society in which crying is generally frowned upon, and laughter is often used as a defense against unwanted feelings when we or someone else is crying. What's the first thing everyone in the room does when a baby starts crying? "Make it stop."

We're wrongly taught to stifle or dismiss our unwanted feelings. What I would hope for everyone who's grieving or experiencing loss of any kind is to allow yourself to feel your feelings. Not to always act on them, but to feel them. All of them.

To inhibit our feelings is not to know the full spectrum of tastes and colors that life has to offer. We sacrifice living well for ourselves and for the people we care about. With powerful emotions, the only way out is to go all the way in.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I cried for the first month! I was in IOP for the month of April and cried nearly every other day! It really was healing and needed to come out.

It's good you are crying. Don't hold back, let it out. And if anyone tries to stop you from it, just say... Hey, I need to cry. It's ok . I had to keep assuring my husband of this, as it seemed to bother him. His instinct was to get me to stop. I think I finally got across to him it was healing and necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-08-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

LadyBlue you just helped me . I want what you have gotten thru the 3 steps... Thank you!