Notices

This should be day 4...

Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well done on day 13 Bob ...i too used to drink and smoke in the bars...i found i had to stop going out as much as other people sparking up while drinking beer was just too tempting. Thinking about it, I probably replaced cigs with more drink over the years ...Well done on day two Pamel, i hope i get there tomorrow ...i get what you're saying AW, it does make u feel good when you count them up, like you're really achieving...guess I just feel disappointment at having to go back to the start each time I make the wrong decision. Thanks Climber, the anxiety hangover has got to be one of the worse type I think...I'm so looking forward to the day that they are a distant memory. The aa groups sound really supportive, I need to summon up the courage to attend a meeting, in the meantime I can do some reading up and have found this site to be really helpful...I've been reading through posts on here practically all afternoon ...and the drink still has a lid on it
Old 08-07-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by keen2bclean View Post
Thank you AW ...what you say makes sense...and thinking about it now I would probably feel more panicked right now if there wasn't any in the house...the fact that its there is a weird kind of comfort ...like knowing I can if I want to, but just not now, not this minute...
To be honest love thats just you subliminally planning ahead to fail. Yes youre getting further down the line of not wanting to but you haven't really accepted the fact you're not going to drink.

You have to do all you can to make picking that first drink up as difficult as possible. Give yourself as much time as you can to say "I don't need this. I don't want this. What am I doing?" And not having it close at hand buys you precious time to think it through and change your mind.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Right now; reading ebooks and the board are my life line I am in an awkward position right now so Support is hard to come by Hence I love this board and do tend to post allot at times :p lol
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Perhaps I am then...perhaps this isn't for me and I'm just destined to be a drinker. I just think that if I want to drink I will, if its not in the house and I want it, I will go out and get it ..the key is to have the control to not pour that first one, whether its in my fridge or sitting on a store shelf....it's about state of mind, and as AW said little battles.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I disagree on the "destined" part.. We all have the Choice, some chose that dark Path I was on & others, like myself & folks here are choosing the other path. It's just harder to navigate this one ;-)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Perhaps I am then...perhaps this isn't for me and I'm just destined to be a drinker. I just think that if I want to drink I will, if its not in the house and I want it, I will go out and get it ..the key is to have the control to not pour that first one, whether its in my fridge or sitting on a store shelf....it's about state of mind, and as AW said little battles.
When I quit in 2007 for 14 months I had 4 beers in my fridge the whole time.
Had them there in case I had company that wanted a beer.I was that determined that nothing,absolutely nothing was going to turn me back to drinking.
Ended up giving my dad one while he was visiting and turned out they went skunky.
Ended up pouring them all out.

My danger comes when I think I have my drinking beat and decide to "drink responsibly".That I know now is a lie and my drinking would just increase to the point I was at 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ahh maybe I'm just destined to make wrong choices then :p....no I know what you mean, it's just having the determination to say no...I have always told myself that same lie Bob...'I'll just have the one'...
Old 08-07-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Keen2bclean, addiction is very powerful and shouldn't be under estimated. However, it can be overcome. I'm 3 years sober after drinking for 42 years, so it can be done. Rootin for ya.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

...and way to go on 14 months back in 2007...think the longest I've been is 10 mths and that was about 5 years ago.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement nerferkamichael ... 3 years after 42 of drinking is brilliant!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

...and way to go on 14 months back in 2007...think the longest I've been is 10 mths and that was about 5 years ago.
Then you know what it takes this and above all you've proved you can do it. It's not easy and its hard work but its well worth it.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Planning is a big part of the success of anything. "Failing to plan is planning to fail" isn't a cliche because it's not true! lol! I've been going 24 hours at a time. There's a 24 hour club on these forums, and while I've never officially committed on the forum, I think it's an amazing idea. If I feel like drinking I just promise myself today sober because today is the day I have and it usually passes before too long. Also these forums are a great source if you're feeling weak. There's a lot of support here. Hugs and prayers to you, Keen. You got this!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support Linnie! ....I've been pretty much using that mindset today and it has got me thru this far...tomorrow I've made some plans to keep busy during the day...trying to stay out of the house as much as possible as that's where in tends to start....even preparing a meal is a trigger as I would crack open a bottle while chopping veg...so for tonight its a takeaway and glass of juice while reading and posting here.