Notices

Day one again

Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one again

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum.

So I've decided to quit drinking again. I have made many attempts over the last four years and my record is 4 days without having a drink. I have a been feeling very disappointed with myself for a while now. I feel like I have been killing myself with alcohol and I feel like I've been out of control. As a teenager I was addicted to heroine and cocaine and got clean in 1996, I relapsed in 2003 till 2005 and got clean again and was doing really well and then 5 years ago I started drinking. I have always had a problem with moderation so it got out of hand fairly quickly. I don't even enjoy it anymore lately it's felt more like it's something I do because that's just what I do, I don't even know if that makes sense. Anyway, I've decided that enough is enough. Drinking is taking a toll on my health and I want to be a better parent to my kids and I want to be a good role model for them. I feel like if I don't stop now I never will. I have to keep reminding myself that although I feel powerless, I'm really not and being sober is the best gift I can give myself and my family.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just don't drink for today. Try and get to an aa meeting. and be kind to yourself because you can do this. Only a few weeks ago I didn't think it was even possible to stop but the longer I am sober the easier it is getting. We are all here for you.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Work the 12 Steps ASAP if you can.
Meetings help, but the Steps are where you truly find the power needed to stay sober.

Good Luck and PM me if you have any questions!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Makes sense to me. I tried quiting for many, many years. Heck, I joined here six years ago (under a different user name) and have been sober for two and a half. Took me awhile.
AA meetings are a good idea as is coming here and reading and posting. That helped me.
Being sober is the best gift I ever gave myself.

What helps me, is thinking that first drink through to the end and the misery and loss of self esteem it'll bring. Just don't have that first drink.

Best to you.