Notices

Diary of a Mad Cow

Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

I know what I has to do. I has to give up every trace of caffeines and other stimulant. Also including stimulating edibles, including but no limited to, delicious chocolates, herbs, spices, sugar and such.

That like, just as hard as quitting the alcohols! Is like double whammy of deprivations and very difficult, especially when there is craft services on set.

But is not matter how difficult, yes? Is what it is, and like Luke, I just has to find way to dig deeper and get my f*cking X-Wing out of swamp or I gonna spend whole life in dark, dreary Dagobah. I like Alice, "I generally gives myself very good advices, but I very seldom take it." But I still got more "try" in me, I do!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Oh I know All about craft services. It's evil on tables.

What if, you gave yourself a timeframe - say, I'll give it up for a week, a month, a few months, and if nothing changes, you can go right back to where you are now ? The thing about this disease is that we can get a full refund on our misery whenever we want it. Just pick up again.

But without an earnest effort, how in fecks sake will you ever really know if you could have saved your own azz ?

Any BODY can do any THING for just a little while. When I start to get all princess of the pity party, I think about concentration camps and the power of the human spirit. A paltry and rather offensive comparison I know, but it all comes down to survival.

So, you feeling lucky punk ?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Is good strategies, AlphaO. I has actual use these 2 strategy on myself for decades. Unfortunately, the “just give it a month, substances will always be there for you” argument is usual defeat by the all powerful “just start tomorrow, sobriety will always be there for you” rebuttal.

Now, knowledge that many many peoples has endure much more severe sufferings and has overcome it with strength and resilience is more difficult. I read LOT of memoirs by addict, Holocaust survivor, sexual abuse victim, 80's hair band and such. And is sometime, I feel shame for not being as resilient as they. But then I decide that comparisons to other was unfair.

For some, is maybe possible to endure unimaginable thing and come out with fortitude to embrace life and live dammit, live! But for others, they maybe get broken and go off track and take long time and difficult journey to find way back. Is not for anybody to judge how resilient you suppose to be after trauma. Everybody find way best they can, yes? Is interesting topic to me, for sure.

I not mean this to sound like I making excuse for myself. I know damn well is still up to me to try and try and try to make progress for myself, yes?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
Everybody find way best they can, yes?
Yep! But it does help to know that other people have been there and done it x 10 sometimes, it has to help... but truly, I think it helps more to be around those who've been through more similar things that you have... because when it's way different, and just off the charts kind of stuff, it is actually hard to connect the dots and relate.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I have the absolute utmost of faith that you are going to kick this hell hole and come out on the other side.

I'd bet the farm on it.

And we will all get to say, we knew her when...

Fight sister, fight.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I woke up to take my dog out and starting thinking about you.

Cow, dude, you got this all wrong. You already ARE the survivor story. Based upon the history you have so selflessly shared, you can check the "Heros Journey" off your souls bucket list. You have endured, more than your fair share of pain in this lifetime. And, you lived to tell about it ! How can you look at what you have overcome and not think - I RULE ?

So based upon the fact that you might be the strongest person I don't know, I have a hard time copping to you knowing what you need to do to get better, which at this stage of the game seems pale in comparison to the life lessons you have already mastered, and you just saying, meh, maybe tomorrow. News flash - Sobriety MAY NOT BE THERE FOR YOU TOMORROW because you may be dead. Granted, you have flirted with that old chestnut before, and, again, lived to tell about it, but don't you deserve better ? I, for one, think you do. And you are right there ! It's like all you have to do is take that one last, final, baby step and you got this. It'll be done. Over. Kaput. And you owe that to your insanely resilient spirit to at the very least, give yourself a break from all of this pain and turmoil and drudgery and joyless trudging through this gift we get. Life.

The worst is over. You have the battle scars and the badges of honor to prove that. This is the cake walk part.

Now pick yourself up by the bootstraps, dust off your sense of exceptional fortitude and strength that most people will never even be able to touch upon, put on some makeup and pull yourself together.

You deserve this. You deserve so much GD more. You deserve it all.

When the past calls, let it go to voicemail, it's got nothing new to say.

Now, git er done.

xoxo
Old 08-17-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

GREAT post Alpha! I hope it helps Cow and I know it helped me!! Thanks!

Cow, I know you can do this!!!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=alphaomega;4127470
When the past calls, let it go to voicemail, it's got nothing new to say. [/QUOTE]

Fabulous post Alpha, this will stick with me, I feel like i've just had a lightbulb moment. I hope Cow you get as much out of this post as I did.

Stay strong and with us Cow, I love reading this thread, you are a very talented cow!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Holy Cow--Cow,

I do understand the conundrum that exists between addictive behavior and the creative mind. I also work in the entertainment industry and as long as you write or perform well--no one cares how you got it done.

I would recommend a brilliant book "Drinking, A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp (a writer)---however, if you are like me, reading this will likely elicit nods of affirmation but then like a horse to the barn--moth to the flame, you will just go right back to it. Creative brains fully understand that it is slow suicide BUT they just like it too much to actually quit---a true love/hate relationship--rationalization polished to a high art form.

I have none of your past traumas-but all of your perceived ambivalence. Just know this much--you are not alone in this. There are many artists who struggle. Some get free---some do not. We have lost so many great talents to addiction --- don't want to lose you -- and your voice in the choir DOES matter. This can be done, but something has to break the cycle for the new life to rise from the old.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Good recommendation Blackcat. I'd like to add another..
The Thirsty Muse: Alcohol and the American Writer by Thomas A. Dardis

C'mon Cow, you've got a plethora of folks rooting for you here!

Choose LIFE, now is the time!

Love and hugs,
Kim
Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Day 0: Can I choose life tomorrow, I not feel so hot today?

My fellow drunks! My brother and sisters! Yes, is fear in the heart of Cow. Fear that addiction may claim the very life of me. Yes, a day may come when courage of Cow fails. When I forsake all efforts and break all bonds of fellowship and succumb to mine enemy –but it is no this day! A day of wolves and shattered shields, when Cow come crashing down –but it is no this day! This day I fight! (Or rather, this day I lay about with terrible hangover only made worse by more mercy drinking.) ...But tomorrow I fight! Will you stand with Cow! By all that you hold dear, in name of sobriety and satire, I bid you, stand!

PS. Sincere thank you for continue support everybody. I read every words you say, and I will look up books you all mention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
x 086small.JPG (10.2 KB, 262 views)
Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Use today to fix your shields cow and show the wolves the door! We're all standing with you
Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes! Standing with Cow today - and every day.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
orangutan

Still here Cow, I hope you can find the strength you need to beat the curse of addiction, I am the same place myself but want to stop badly.Keep posting.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I'm standing with you too, Cow.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I'm standing with you too, Cow.
Me too!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Keep fighting Cow!!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Day 1: Sobriety Was No Built In A Day

One day at time is big AA concept. I pretty good at one dayers. I get one today, which pretty easy being that I in hangover hell yesterday. Is stringing one days together where I has decades long history of total failure. Contrary to popular advices, I think when it come to alcohols and stimulant, I need to embrace the black or white thinking, the all or nothing thinking. Is no shades of gray, is not even hint of light beige anywhere in this picture.

Standard wisdoms is that thought of never ever drinking again is too daunting. That daily nibbles of sobriety is more manageable. I think is true for lot of people, but maybe not really suit me. It give me too much leeways for my mind to be okay with just “starting again tomorrow” every time I go wayward. I want permanent forever sobriety. Thought is not daunting, is like relief and wonderful dream. I want it to be DONE. I wish to kills the snake, then chop it head off, then throw it over cliff, where it swept away in raging rivers. GONE. Oh, snake may come to mind like phantom limb some days, but is no matter, if you leg is no there, it no there, even if it itches, and if you snake got no head and is kill and drown, then is no point to muse about it. I know is big concept for little cow, but I feeling like is time to go big or go, well, back to the Safeways for another bottle of Malbec.

*No snakes was harm during this posting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
x 088small.JPG (55.3 KB, 234 views)
Old 08-18-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

Either way works Cow so long as it helps you maintain not drinking

D
Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Go Big Cow if that works for you!!!