Notices

Difficult moment

Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Difficult moment

I'm on day 2. Just a few hours ago I was filled with optimism and was feeling great. Now I suddenly really want to drink and feel depressed.

Are emotional ups and downs normal at first?

I won't give in to it but it is very difficult. How best to deal with it?

In this state I'm afraid that if I stay sober, I'll end up being depressed all the time.

How does one actually feel after being sober for a longer period of time?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's totally normal. Well if you call normal bursting into tears for no reason and wanting to kill someone a moment later...

I found the best way to deal with it was to just roll with it, it's just a ride. Recognise your feelings for what they are and say 'oh that's interesting' and move on. Don't let your emotions rule you and drive you to drink. Look up urge surfing.

I have been sober for nearly a year and a half now and believe me it gets calm. It is a transition but I was amazed at the strength of my emotions in the early days and my relative saneness now. It does get better x
Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes,your mood can change quite rapidly.
Try to keep busy.Visit here and read/post.
Those feelings will slowly disappear.

I know that when I was 14 months sober I didn't have any desire or thoughts of drinking.
My mistake was thinking I could "control" it if I started again.
Now I can't wait to get to the one year mark.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It does get better and for me it happens quit quickly. Every time I resist the urge to drink and choose to do something ANYTHING else I end up feeling better about who I am. Each time I feel pride and the thought that I DESERVE to be SOBER fills me to the brim. It's not easy but it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. Today I wake up excited for another sober day. I never want to go back where I was. It was a dark, miserable place. Hang on and you will get thru. Find some to make yourself feel happy. Watch a movie. Listen to music and let's dance the sobriety dance together!
Originally Posted by DorianLastname View Post
I'm on day 2. Just a few hours ago I was filled with optimism and was feeling great. Now I suddenly really want to drink and feel depressed.

Are emotional ups and downs normal at first?

I won't give in to it but it is very difficult. How best to deal with it?

In this state I'm afraid that if I stay sober, I'll end up being depressed all the time.

How does one actually feel after being sober for a longer period of time?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
It's totally normal. Well if you call normal bursting into tears for no reason and wanting to kill someone a moment later...

I found the best way to deal with it was to just roll with it, it's just a ride. Recognise your feelings for what they are and say 'oh that's interesting' and move on. Don't let your emotions rule you and drive you to drink. Look up urge surfing.

I have been sober for nearly a year and a half now and believe me it gets calm. It is a transition but I was amazed at the strength of my emotions in the early days and my relative saneness now. It does get better x
Thanks. This really helps.

I've been reading some stuff online in the meantime and as I understand, if you've been drinking heavily for a long time, your brain chemistry has adjusted to that. And if you quit, it needs time to re-adjust, which at first manifests as ups and downs. Eventually it'll get back to normal though.

I'm alright with that. I like how I used to be before I started drinking. And given that I've grown a lot as a person despite the drinking, I can only look forward to the new and improved me.

Knowing it'll pass makes it so much easier. I can now look at how I feel and don't really care about feeling bad for the time being.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have to quote this one from MatildaRose, it makes me smile:

"Listen to music and let's dance the sobriety dance together!"