Notices

Time to Stop

Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just keep in mind that after as little a 4 days you'll feel much,much better.
It's that first hump you need to get over(the physical part).
The mental side of it takes a lot longer.
I know cause I went 14 months and then decided I could drink socially again...BIG mistake.

I'm on day 10 and feel really good.Just have to ignore that little voice that says,"now that you feel better you can....."
Not falling for that anymore.

And you can do this Zad,I can tell by your post you are ready to say goodbye to drinking.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Hey Zad, 4+ months ago I was where you are, lying and hiding my drinking from my husband ( he works away in the week so plenty of time for secret supping) working through a drunken haze or hangover, hating myself in the morning mirror, picking up that bottle at the shop on the way home. Years and years. First denial. ( I wasn't in the gutter or pouring vodka on my cereal ergo I am not an alkie) the self loathing at my inability to last longer than a week or so sober. Coming here, climbing on the wagon, but still planning to drink in some unspecified future, falling off the wagon, coming back here, to all the support, advise and help I could ask. I told hubby, needed to make myself accountable and that was the only way, brutal honesty. Getting there now, slowly. If you can't go to meetings, there are meetings on line, there is AVRT, some really good links here to sober tools. You have a nineteen years start on me, lor, I wish I had come to my senses at 30!
Good luck my friend
Thanks toots. That's a good tip about the online meetings. i will check that out tonight for sure. My girlfriends uncle (he's like 65ish) actually runs our local town aa meeting. His jaw would drop if I showed up. And the whole family would then know. And I don't particularly care for the guy...

Anyways - I really feel like it's now or never. I really think if I keep drinking as much as I do i won't live anoher 20 years. Thanks for your post and congratulations and good luck.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
Just keep in mind that after as little a 4 days you'll feel much,much better.
It's that first hump you need to get over(the physical part).
The mental side of it takes a lot longer.
I know cause I went 14 months and then decided I could drink socially again...BIG mistake.

I'm on day 10 and feel really good.Just have to ignore that little voice that says,"now that you feel better you can....."
Not falling for that anymore.

And you can do this Zad,I can tell by your post you are ready to say goodbye to drinking.
I am definitely looking forward to feeling good again. The last time I sobered up for 3 or 4 days I was shocked what normal feels like!

So after 14 months of being sober, then socially, you went back to drinking as much as before you quit the first time? That scares me...
Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

some good advice here Zad

If public image is that important to you, there's always a way forward, whether it's online meetings or a method like Rational Recovery which has no meetings at all.

It is important to do something tho - shaking at your desk sweating boozer is not going to go unremarked upon for very long. I dunno about you but I;d rather be proactive in my recovery now rather than being forced into it later.

just a note too, do see your Dr too, especially if you're concerned about your health.
I realise that's another breaking cover situation but I think it's good advice for everyone to get checked out.

D
Old 08-07-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi, Zad! I hope you're doing well and managing to stay off the sauce. I'm in Central Ohio as well, though I live in the city. There are a ton of meetings in the Columbus area if you feel like you need some support. I'm sure no one from your hometown would know you went. If you're intent on DIY sobriety, though, I've been reading "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" by Allen Carr. I've seen a few others on the forum have read it as well and I think it's generally been found to be helpful. I'm on day 9 today and I am a binge drinker as well. There is a lot of support here, I wish you the best of luck!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

greetings

I am new to the site, hello
Old 08-07-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zad83 View Post
Thanks Pamel. I come here today feeling soaked in alcohol from the weekend; basically drinking non-stop. As for my job - we're a company of about 100 people, and I am one of the senior managers. I've never seen anyone fired for attending AA, but I have seen several people fired for exposing their flaws. It's tough because I interact with the owner and the VP daily, and they have no idea. I'm good about hiding it.
Welcome to SR Zad. You have done the right thing by coming here and with a bit of self determination and added support it is possible to change the habits that we have all fallen into over the years.
In response to your post, You might be surprised who actually knows or thinks that you have an issue with drinking! No matter how good you think you are about hiding it people know.