Notices

15 days sober but cravings are back!

Old 08-05-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 days sober but cravings are back!

Day 15 without a drink. Feel great no hangovers, done nothing stupid and relaionships improved. Been going to AA each evening and plan to return to work next week.
From previous experience this is now the hardest time. My mind is telling me I feel better so I can have a drink. Cravings really strong. Still planning on going to AA tonight.
Anyone else been in a similar boat before getting cravings when you start to feel better after stopping drinking for a bit?
Any hints or tips?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just don't drink for today.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

That is the addictive side of your brain talking to you. Tell it to bugger off. I can certainly relate to how you are feeling as week 3 was the absolute worse week for me. I spent most of that week at my daughter's house. Anything so that I wouldn't go out and drink.

Hang in there and get thru it one day at a time or one minute at a time if you have to.

You can do this. Stay strong!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Hi Bobby.

I used to cave in around the 9 10 11 day mark just as I was beginning to feel a bit better. The craving would kick in and I would think there was no way I could carry on for ever like that so I would drink again.

I found out though that when I kept going the cravings seemed to come and go and I realised I could wait them out. Also as time passed they decreased in severity, so that it began not to be as difficult as it was in the beginning.

You're right in the middle of the difficult bit, but you're doing great, doing what you're doing. It will get easier with time. Maybe read up on L-Glutamine, I found it a great help and took it daily for the first couple of years.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To be totally honest with you the cravings are going to stick around for awhile. Sometimes catch you off guard. The key is figuring out the tools to get you through them. There are many: go for a run, write them down, take a hit bath, have a sweet treat, get on SR, call a close friend. In time you will get stronger at fighting them. Remember a time when you wished so hard for sobriety.... And realize you now have it.

Days aren't always going to be easy however, I can promise you when you do win over a craving you will feel 1000 times better then any buzz!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Feel better than this morning and the cravings have reduced. I was a bit worried about meeting up with my boss this morning at Sainsburys cafe for a coffee and discussing a phased return to work next week. My was was really cool and will not throw me in at the deep end straight away. She plans to give me some basic work instead first of all. She will also refer me to occupational health and they also have a counselling service. They have been really supportive.
I think with my drinking career it has all been down to fear and always feared the worst. However in life things are always not as bad as I think they will be.
Cravings will come and go but I find if I have structure to my day that seems to help rather than just isolating myself.
Thanks for all your posts.