SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I had a slip and you know what? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/303113-i-had-slip-you-know-what.html)

Lightning Bug 08-04-2013 07:00 PM

I had a slip and you know what?

My husband took the opportunity to tell me exactly what is wrong with me.
I am not a bad person. I care. I have love. Really - he told me that i didn't clean enough that the sugar ants will come in. I suck.

Dee74 08-04-2013 07:03 PM

I don't think you suck Laura....but p[eople took the opportunity to tell me what they thought many times too.

Really what they were saying was 'you're better than what you're allowing yourself here', I think? :)

D

Lightning Bug 08-04-2013 07:04 PM

He is drunk. Sigh.

Hamilton87 08-04-2013 07:10 PM

Take yourself away from it. Go for a walk, go to a meeting. Remind yourself of the stories you've read on here and glean inspiration. We are all in the same boat. You do not suck!

Mizzuno 08-04-2013 07:11 PM

What does this mean?

Lightning Bug 08-04-2013 07:15 PM

It means that the only time he feels comfy enough to tell me that I suck is when I slip and am intoxicated. That is bad. Has anyone ever been through this?

lillyknitting 08-04-2013 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by earthsteps (Post 4105753)
I am not a bad person. I care. I have love. Really - he told me that i didn't clean enough that the sugar ants will come in. I suck.

Please clarify!?

Lightning Bug 08-04-2013 07:20 PM

Clarification.
I am in a state in which I am receptive to anything. Husband took the opportunity to unleash.

lillyknitting 08-04-2013 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by earthsteps (Post 4105782)
It means that the only time he feels comfy enough to tell me that I suck is when I slip and am intoxicated. That is bad. Has anyone ever been through this?

My husband is a controller. It's very hard to live with. I could write a book, but, eventually, you have to live your life for you. It's very, very hard, one day I will have the strength to end it, but for now I think a lot of relationships are habit.

Eleni58 08-04-2013 07:21 PM

Just dismiss it as "drunk talk." My boyfriend talks the same way when drinking. When he's not drinking, he would NEVER badmouth me.

deeker 08-04-2013 07:26 PM

Tomorrow is a new day. Start again. Come back to 24 club earthsteps, we want to support you as well.

Lightning Bug 08-04-2013 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 4105762)
I don't think you suck Laura....but p[eople took the opportunity to tell me what they thought many times too.

Really what they were saying was 'you're better than what you're allowing yourself here', I think? :)

D

Thank you Dee.

Mizzuno 08-04-2013 07:30 PM

Did he say that you suck, or did he say that the ants are coming in because the cleaning job was not thorough enough?

Lightning Bug 08-04-2013 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mizzuno (Post 4105816)
Did he say that you suck, or did he say that the ants are coming in because the cleaning job was not thorough enough?

Both.
I am a stay at home mom. He makes the money, he shouldn't have to deal with ants.

LadyinBC 08-04-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by earthsteps (Post 4105824)
Both.
I am a stay at home mom. He makes the money, he shouldn't have to deal with ants.

The cleanest houses have ants, spiders, and even mice.

Grateful Heart 08-04-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by earthsteps (Post 4105753)

You don't suck. You are a wonderful person.:c011:

Mizzuno 08-04-2013 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by earthsteps (Post 4105824)
Both.

And, your job is equally important. Full time parenting is for warriors in my opinion. I am not sure how you all do it.
If he is drinking do not engage in his conversation. Keep it level and please try to remain neutral. Tomorrow will be a different day, and he may apologize for his words.
Ants will make their way into the home regardless of cleaning and what not. I have ants in my bathroom right now. They have found their way to the body wash. It is that time of year.

(((HUG)) to you.

Notmyrealname 08-04-2013 07:46 PM

Often ants are actually coming in for the water, they can last for a long time without food but ants need water everyday.

LuLu13 08-04-2013 07:54 PM

Earthsteps, are you saying you are drinking now so you are both intoxicated?

bexxed 08-04-2013 07:58 PM

There are some things you can change, some you can't.

You can't change that ants came in, but you can make them leave. Well, your husband can. By paying a bug guy.

I used to live in FL. (Still have a place there I go to with some frequency and hopefully will live there again someday.) Gulf Coast. It's the buggiest place in the US. You know who I loved? The bug exterminator guys. It doesn't matter how clean you are, you live in a tropical swamp. I am a clean person for the most part and when I lived in FL I had to call bug guys to come a few times a year. Everyone does.

I'm not sure if this preceded the slip- if it did, it's no reason to drink, if it didn't, it's no reason to keep drinking.

Even if you didn't clean up after the kids' cookie project last week and the ants came in, it's no reason for domestic strife. It's ants. In Florida. In summer.

Hugs.