Notices

Physical injuries

Old 08-04-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical injuries

During my years of drinking I suffered many injuries. I still didn't get it that I am an alcoholic. I fell off a wall and gashed my head open, fell in a bath of scalding water (hospitalised) fell down some cellar steps, gashed my face open on a rolled up blind, etc etc etc.

Am I alone in sporting physical scars as well as mental scars?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a scar on my face, about the size of a thumb print, between my nose and my upper lip, from falling over in a bar one night and ripping my face open. Don't even remember it happening, just woke up like that. And countless small cuts and bruises over the years.

So happy those days are over!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I didn't have trouble whenever I drank however when trouble usually alcohol was involved. No alcohol trouble in over 30 years. AA works for me because I work it one day at a time. BE WELL
Old 08-04-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have fallen down and burned myself. When I hurt myself drinking is when I really knew the game was over. Thanks for your post.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds familiar! I've had bad bad bruises the size of basketballs. I have a scar under my eyebrow from falling down drunk and gashing my head open. I also have a scar under my chin that I got at the American Royal several years ago when I started running from my family after swearing I was a celebrity and the helicopter above us was there for me (I was wasted). I had tripped over one of those ropes that hold tents up and bit the dust. Both times I should have had stitches. I have fallen out of the shower, into a large mirror and breaking it. I have a scar on my index finger from when I was mad at my husband for wanting to go to bed and I slammed a jarred candle down and it shattered, slicing my finger open. But mostly I had bruises all over my body all of the time. You are not alone!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

various UDIs (unidentified drinking injuries) but the worst one was going headlong down a flight of stairs and landing on my face without even putting my hands out. broke my nose, loosened 4 teeth (killed two of 'em so won a double root canal), bit through my bottom lip and blacked both my eyes.

i was lucky - i missed the corner of hubby's desk by centimetres. i could have fractured my skull, choked whilst lying face-down unconscious in a literal pool of blood, or had a heart attack from the shock.

the craziest part is that i didn't know anything about it until i woke up with a face like a dumpster and hair full of blood the next morning. drunks and small children, eh?

and i still didn't try for sober for another couple of months. ugh.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Bruises galore. Broke my ring finger once.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a decade old scar on my wrist that looks like I'd tried to kill myself once, but it was a burn from the woodstove to me with x's and o's from vicodin and wine. The scar between my eyes from fainting getting out of a hot bath was gotten under the influence as well, but passing out had more to do with my eating disorder back then, I think.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bruises and then some... I could have 'literally' killed myself several time over during one of my great falls. I am like a cat with nine lives!
Old 08-04-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Every minor injury I have is the result of drinking. Falling off things, falling, bumping into things, cutting and burning myself while cooking drunk. Most of it occurred in the privacy of my home.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

Nearly broke my jaw falling on the sharp corner of a desk.....face planted multiple times on a hard ceramic tile floor ( blamed my cat for "tripping me")....broke my ribs while drunk on a roller coaster....every other day a few new bruises... Don't miss those days.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bruises. Once I fell on my bum so hard I had a bruise the size of a grapefruit for 2 weeks. Right now I have a numb toe and am worried it's alcohol related... Ugh.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a small scar right below my eyebrow - tripped while drunkenly running down the street.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Woke up on the kitchen floor one morning and stood up not knowing what had happened or why there droplets of blood on the floor. I felt something on my chin. It was split open and covered in semi-dry blood. I probably should have gotten stitches. I probably should have realized then that alcohol was becoming a problem for me. Should haves...

June
Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Heck yeah. A lot of bruises, chipped teeth, darn near bit part of my inside lip off, which by the way needed surgery to fix. And a small dent in my head, the result of falling and hitting a wall.And can't 4get a messed up bloody nose once.. Who needs a drink now? Stupid, stupid, stupid. But really feel blessed because it all could have been a lot worse.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So many gashes, bruises. Everywhere. From fights, from falling down (mostly from falling down, I'm not a fighter).

A concussion and spinal injury from rushing onstage when my friends band was playing and subsequently getting thrown off by one of the play actor monsters they had with them (metal bands, am I right?)

All the times I cut myself because I was in agony feeling like my life was over.

Last month I almost jumped out of a car going 70 on the highway to get away from someone that was grabbing my by the hair and punching me in the chest because he was angry at me for being drunk. I couldn't open the door, no matter how hard I tried. He took me to his sisters wedding the week after that covered in bruises.

Not a fun life to lead.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your honest replies. It's good to know there's a safe place to share this stuff. I have so much stuff to work though and most of it I don't want to face. I placed myself and the people around me in danger so many times. I have no idea what happened during my blackouts, anything could have. I have left candles burning, cooked with hot oil late at night, left the doors to our home wide open. I've walked home alone through rough districts, late at night. I have tried to throw myself in front of cars, I have taken overdoses whilst drunk. I have had sex without even knowing it.

This is what passes for normal in the brain of an alcoholic in denial.

If you are reading any of this and it touches a chord with you and you are still drinking... please take a moment to reflect on the fact I waited 30 years to acknowledge my problems and quit drinking. Day 27 on my second attempt at sobriety. I intend to stick to it and start respecting myself.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh ya. Once got dragged through dirt and gravel while camping. Holding on to my friends truck and was too drunk to realize I had better let go (don't ask - I have no good answer).

Nice scar on my cheek for that one.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GwenCummings View Post
Thanks to all of you for your honest replies. It's good to know there's a safe place to share this stuff. I have so much stuff to work though and most of it I don't want to face. I placed myself and the people around me in danger so many times. I have no idea what happened during my blackouts, anything could have. I have left candles burning, cooked with hot oil late at night, left the doors to our home wide open. I've walked home alone through rough districts, late at night. I have tried to throw myself in front of cars, I have taken overdoses whilst drunk. I have had sex without even knowing it.

This is what passes for normal in the brain of an alcoholic in denial.

If you are reading any of this and it touches a chord with you and you are still drinking... please take a moment to reflect on the fact I waited 30 years to acknowledge my problems and quit drinking. Day 27 on my second attempt at sobriety. I intend to stick to it and start respecting myself.
This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

June
Old 08-05-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Nearly lost a nipple in a drunken motorcycle accident. I would like to say I learned my lesson on that topic, but I'd be lying.