Notices

First post, on day 2

Old 08-04-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post, on day 2

Hello all,

This is is my first post on the forum. Im encouraged by all the positive feedback Im reading and the overwhelming support provided in all of the threads I've been browsing.

Background story - started drinking/partying in my late teens, starting drinking more, parties became a lot less like parties. Started drinking all the time. Stopped, went to AA, worked the program, was doing great. Relapsed. Started all over again.

The second time around I wanted to stop, I decided to stop in a way that only an addict would think was safe. I started taking Tramadol to ease the pain of alcohol withdrawal. Yup - that worked great...started taking Trams everyday, 20-30 a day, then perc/oxy, we all know the rest. OD'ed and ended up in the ER. Started on Suboxone, was on for the past 18 months, on day 2 without Subs or anything else. Putting my foot down that Im DONE. Reading AA books, browsing the forum, now all I need to do is man up and get to a meeting. Im a bit intimidated about going into meetings again, despite the great experiences Ive had in the past. But I want to be done for my wife and my family. And for myself. Scratch that - I AM done for my wife and my family. Looking for support to get through TODAY.

Someone said this at an AA meeting years ago thats always stuck with me - "Feeling normal is euphoric". I love that quote. Trying to remember that and one day at a time.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, you will find lots of support and advice here.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No half measures

In AA we do not shoot our wounded. You will be welcome back with open arms. Nobody cares if you been there before they just want to see you get better.

Alcohol is very jealous lover it wants you all to itself it doesn't want you in an AA meeting. Isolation is one of our biggest enemies so just go to a meeting and keep going to meetings and start to get better.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sixohthree x
Old 08-04-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. You know what to do and now is that moment to take action. I'm a 2year slipper and fortunately I did hear the phrase "KEEP COMING." Finally with pain as a huge motivator I jumped into the program and never looked back for many years. What wakko said is very accurate and helpful if accepted. BE WELL
Old 08-04-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi Sixohthree,

Happy that you made the decision to post! This place is incredible and is there 24/7 when you need it. Get to those meetings

I also love this

"Feeling normal is euphoric".

Can't be further from the truth!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You guys are awesome. Im getting to a meeting tonight.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good work, and I'm glad you are committed and motivated to a sober life.

I love having peace in my life.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can I get a suggestion as to which meeting would be most appropriate to attend - AA or NA? Ive had serious issues with both in the past, so does it really matter?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sixohthree View Post
Hello all,

This is is my first post on the forum. Im encouraged by all the positive feedback Im reading and the overwhelming support provided in all of the threads I've been browsing.

Background story - started drinking/partying in my late teens, starting drinking more, parties became a lot less like parties. Started drinking all the time. Stopped, went to AA, worked the program, was doing great. Relapsed. Started all over again.

The second time around I wanted to stop, I decided to stop in a way that only an addict would think was safe. I started taking Tramadol to ease the pain of alcohol withdrawal. Yup - that worked great...started taking Trams everyday, 20-30 a day, then perc/oxy, we all know the rest. OD'ed and ended up in the ER. Started on Suboxone, was on for the past 18 months, on day 2 without Subs or anything else. Putting my foot down that Im DONE. Reading AA books, browsing the forum, now all I need to do is man up and get to a meeting. Im a bit intimidated about going into meetings again, despite the great experiences Ive had in the past. But I want to be done for my wife and my family. And for myself. Scratch that - I AM done for my wife and my family. Looking for support to get through TODAY.

Someone said this at an AA meeting years ago thats always stuck with me - "Feeling normal is euphoric". I love that quote. Trying to remember that and one day at a time.
Thank you for this post.

I was prescribed Tramadol by a doctor who saw me for a sports injury 2 weeks ago. I had been slipping from a 6 week sober run for 2 weeks prior to that. I live in the US and my medical insurance will not cover diagnostics (X-ray, etc) for an orthopedic injury that isn't extremely traumatic until the patient has been treated with 30 days of medication, including tramadol for pain. I found this out the hard way. Doctor told me it was non-addictive and something that "wouldn't mess me up" where I could "function". Said if I needed more I could come back. It made me high as a kite and within a few days I was double dosing and back to drinking. There was a night a little over a week ago where I think I may have come close to OD'ing, it was the last night I touched the stuff. Mixed it with a lot of booze, may have taken 6 doses that night, I only remember 2. There's a lot of pills missing from the bottle. I was on that drug for 6 days total and that last night was actually scary, I am lucky that I didn't choke on my own vomit. Very lucky.

I had never heard of Tramadol before, but I don't think it's something I can ever use again. I'm thankful that I only got the preview. This was a very helpful post for me to read and I'm glad you're here.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
Thank you for this post.

I was prescribed Tramadol by a doctor who saw me for a sports injury 2 weeks ago. I had been slipping from a 6 week sober run for 2 weeks prior to that. I live in the US and my medical insurance will not cover diagnostics (X-ray, etc) for an orthopedic injury that isn't extremely traumatic until the patient has been treated with 30 days of medication, including tramadol for pain. I found this out the hard way. Doctor told me it was non-addictive and something that "wouldn't mess me up" where I could "function". Said if I needed more I could come back. It made me high as a kite and within a few days I was double dosing and back to drinking. There was a night a little over a week ago where I think I may have come close to OD'ing, it was the last night I touched the stuff. Mixed it with a lot of booze, may have taken 6 doses that night, I only remember 2. There's a lot of pills missing from the bottle. I was on that drug for 6 days total and that last night was actually scary, I am lucky that I didn't choke on my own vomit. Very lucky.

I had never heard of Tramadol before, but I don't think it's something I can ever use again. I'm thankful that I only got the preview. This was a very helpful post for me to read and I'm glad you're here.
Its pretty amazing how many times I've read similar stories. I lucked out with my suboxone doctor (other than she kept me on too long). I told her I was using Tramadol all day to function at work and using heavy opiates at night. She had an intern with her, who asked, albeit suspiciously, if Tramadol truly produced opiate withdrawals - Dr immediately replied that its very addictive, causes painful withdrawals, and is terribly over prescribed.

Despite the fact that I was using other opiates, Tramadol really controlled me more than anything. Im glad I could help with my post, and youre right, youre very lucky you got merely a preview. I vomited in my sleep and was woken up by my girlfriend after taking 40+ trams in one night. It is a terrible, addictive drug - but you're past it, and thats awesome. Stepping stone to a better life.