Notices

New and looking for friends

Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Hayley, you too!

Areg, it definitely took a little while to get used to not going out to bars and partying on the weekends but I just had to keep reminding myself why I wanted to be sober and how happy I was to feel good and NOT have a HANGOVER...EVER AGAIN! Once you accept that the weekends are different than they used to be it gets much easier. I suggest finding things to do that you normally wouldn't have been up to doing on the weekend...like morning hikes in beautiful places, or yoga and meditation.

It does get easier, your body and mind will thank you and the urges to drink on weekends will eventually go away completely...at least they have for me.

I do struggle with loneliness but that's because I gave up all my "friends" when I decided enough was enough. That's why I'm on here, to reach out to other sober folks.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Oh, another thing that helped me a lot in getting sober was taking comfort in curling up and watching movies with good food or tea...simple home pleasures and the feeling of being safe and comfortable. I think making your home a healthy place is important.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm also 27 and female! Still struggling, though; not even 12 hours (hell, not 12 minutes) under my belt. Kudos on keeping sober!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 10 months. I'm 26 female. Had about 7 months then relapsed and now back at day 4 today
Old 08-04-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 months. I'm just over ten months and although it feels great to be sober I lost all my friends when I gave up the booze. I'm 36 and learning how to live life sober. It's been a ton of firsts, first sober holidays and social occasions. SR is a great tool.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful

Hi Penny...love the name.

Grunge

Now I have that song in my head.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm 8 days in, that's remarkable we'll done :-)
This is a great place, full of like minded people. Does the world of good reading everyone's stories!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome Penny! I'm a 25 year old woman, 12 days sober. This place is a saving grace!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Nice to see lots of people in their twenties giving up alcohol. I'm glad I am not continuing down the dark road I was on. I think having a comfortable home is really important too, I think loneliness and aloneness are different. Being alone is ok with me right now, I don't feel lonely because I don't feel like I need people or need to defend myself or apologize to anyone.