Notices

Tremendous Anxiety

Old 08-03-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Enjoy your meeting. Looking forward to hearing about it
Old 08-03-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Very small meeting. Lots of people with drug and alcohol problems. I was quiet while they discussed what made them want to go out and use. Going to some kind of meeting in the morning, maybe to a church. Going to eat and then try to sleep.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Cannot sleep and feeling scared. I had a dream last night that I was in prison but somehow was being set free. There were all these scary chutes with names like hell, torture, booze. I cannot believe I relapsed and humiliated myself, I get so scared that I will get arrested or robbed. Why do I keep drinking? After all the years I have known I have had a problem, I still continue to drink. I feel like I have to just isolate myself to stay sober, because deep down I do not like or care about myself, so I give in when the self-destructive voice says let us go waste money and time and neurons. I just want to be free from this obsession and relapse.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hang on in there. You had 44 days sober, you can get there again and build on that. You are stronger than you realize. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Acheleus, you are so worth it! You know you can do this as you had a long stretch earlier. I do not know you but am confident that you have much to contribute to this world. I understand the dream thing, I have had some terrifying ones. Hang in there, keep posting and feel better.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I just want to be cleansed. I want to feel stronger.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
I just want to be cleansed. I want to feel stronger.
You are strong. You are here and posting and not drinking. Be proud of yourself for that. Be kind to yourself and feel better.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yes I could be out drinking and calling people now, crying and asking for help. Some things take so long, and recovery is one of them.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Recovery is long but worth it, in time you will feel cleansed. It is very hard to face all the demons.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Recovery does take a long time. All you can do is try and stay on the right track today. One day at a time. I would not be thinking too long term right now if i were you. I would have found it far too daunting. Stay focused on the here and now and the sober days will soon add up again.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Why do I feel bad when I am sober? I feel like I have no sense of pleasure, but the first few drinks make me feel just right, then it is off to oblivion. I just want the fear/anxiety/loneliness to go away. No one likes me and I feel like life is not worth living without human love and contact. I hate my self and I do not understand what I am supposed to do with myself. I might just go for a drive since I cannot sleep.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

No one likes me...
That's not true Acheleus. I like you. I think you sound like a very nice person. I know there are a lot of people here who like you too.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:33 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Heck, Acheleus, if we didn't like you we wouldn't be responding to you. You will make new friends as you build your new, sober life.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sorry. I just have the emotional maturity of a teenager. I do not need other people to like me for me to be happy, if I stay sober I will make friends again. I mean in my personal life I have no friendships but that is because I am a drunk. Trying to take baby steps again. You know if I am going to drop my attachment to alcohol I am going to drop my attachment to the good opinion of others, money, success, etc. i do not care what other people think, I am going to be happy. I think I am dreading going back to school and teaching, but I used to think it is what I wanted to do but now I am not sure.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I had a dream last night that I was in prison but somehow was being set free. There were all these scary chutes with names like hell, torture, booze.
Wow..that is an incredibly spiritual dream. I got goosebumps reading it. You are being set free : ) Just stay on path (gosh why did Glinda the good witch and "just follow the yellow brick road" just pop into my head)
Old 08-04-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

There were people screaming in the chutes, like large metal tubes where the people dropped to god knows where. Yeah the dream did reinforce where my drinking takes me. I want to be free. It is day 3 and I am about to do laundry.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Acheleus, I had a lot of emotional growing up to do when I stopped drinking, and I judged myself very harshly for putting myself in that position. It was very difficult to live with myself and I had to shift my thinking. I believe that alcoholism is a disease, not a character defect. That made a big difference to how I felt about myself and I was able to begin the process of starting to like/love myself.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yes my counselor said I got alcoholism from both my parents and that I modeled their behavior. All I know is I have to value myself and treat myself with respect. Thank you for the encouragement Anna. Today I feel better than I felt yesterday, so I am trying to build and grow. It does help me to think of alcoholism as a disease and not a flaw. I will keep that in mind.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

acheleus, i fell at 45 days. i know how this feels. i have been dreading going to the local grocery store as i was in there thursday buying wine, while drunk. i lost my atm card somewhere and i can't bear the thought of asking if i left it behind.

i called someone out on facebook, drunk texted rambling self-pity to friends and family, and i still feel horrible and embarrassed.

i think you, like me, are predisposed to self-loathing. i'm an adult child of alcoholic(s), although in my house the violence and abuse was behind a very middle-class facade. i've been in therapy since i left hospital last november after a serious breakdown, and i'm learning that my emotional development was effectively derailed before i even hit seven years old.

how about, i give myself a break and you try to do the same? we're human. we hurt, we f*ck up and yet we keep on going. you sound like you have a lot to offer this world.

try and follow the mantra that i'm trying - be kind to yourself.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

We can do this ippochick. I think we have to support each other in the beginning. We can love ourselves, and you can get through this just like I can. I just want to learn to see through alcohol, I do not want to give it power. We can build our time back day by day.