Notices

Day 13 and shattered!!!

Old 08-03-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Day 13 and shattered!!!

Hi guys it is day 13 sober for me and I am shattered! The hangover has well gone and I am eating better and drinking lots of water. Relationships with my parents have improved and I feel a lot less anxious but still really tired.
I have been off work for 5 weeks now and my manager is aware of the situation. I had been stressed at work prior to going off and was drinking too much in the evenings. She has been very supportive and we plan to meet up for a coffee on Monday to discuss going back to work in about a week. A phased return and discuss support to be in place to prevent stress building up again.
I started drinking when 18 and it was mainly pubs and clubs with friends. Over recent months my alcohol increased mainly at weekends to 8 pints lager and a bottle of vodka. Drinking by myself.
When I came off the drink 13 days ago I was really edgy and felt dreadful and was not sleeping for the first few days. My sleep has become better over the past week however often get nightmares. I am still really tired during the day. I think it is because my body is not used to being sober for so long and is reprogramming itself!
I have been to AA meetings every evening since sober which has helped and I plan to keep this up. I have been trying to take it easy one day at a time during the day but still feel tired.
It has been a big wake up call for me when I got my bloods results back. My ALT was meant to be below 40 and mine was 403! My doctor says it is very high but my liver is not at advanced stage damage. If I lay off the plonk it will come back down to normal over time.
Has anyone had similar experience of still feeling tired and when did they pick up and started to feel more alert again? Weeks? Months?
Any hints or tips to feel less tired or is it just a question of time?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you exercise? Take supplements? Or you could try a cleanse...to help get the toxins out of your body quicker.

Or maybe it's a Thyroid thing? Maybe have some bloodwork done ?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

13 days in and tired? I think that's pretty normal. Moderate exercise and minimizing junk food will help, and taking some vitamins should help. Especially the B vitamins.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

9 days for me and I'm still tired and I still have major insomnia. Kudos to you for sticking with the program! For those of us early in recovery, I am sure, in time we will start feeling better. Keep up the good work!

PS. I find that the days I eat healthy, I feel much better than the days I eat junk food.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds pretty normal top me BigBobby - I was exhausted for about the first month.

Eat well, rest well...look after yourself basically, You'll come good.
see your Doc if you're concerned tho

D
Old 08-03-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tiredness is very normal. I was tired for the first 5 weeks I would say. Then I felt much more energetic and the experienced a bigger drop that at the beginning. Turned out, after having some tests, I was depleted in vit D. But yeah, tiredness is very normal in the beginning.

It sounds like you have a wonderfully supportive employer.

I wish you all the best

S x
Old 08-03-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi chaps. Yeh I have been taking multivitamins for the past 13 days. I think I could do with a bit of moderate exercise and was thinking of painting my flat.
I am unsure if you have them in the USA but in England there are large green areas called allotments. Basically vegetable patches. They were left over from World War 2 when people were encouraged to grow their own vegetables due to rationing. People now just do it for a hobby and I have an allotment but have not been down for a while due to drinking. Now I am sober I should go down my allotment and dig my my vegetables I planted earlier in the year. Exercise plus my diet will be better.
I must admit since sober I have been eating a lot of junk. I have also started drinking a lot of coffee which give me a temporary lift but I then come crashing down.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

BigBobby, I am on day 14 and am sooooo tired. I have not been able to sleep normally since I quit, the first 5 days I think I got about 4 hours sleep. I am trying not to get angry with myself for rarely accomplishing anything throughout the day and just concentrate on being sober. I spend a lot of time just laying in bed reading and napping. I am sure it will get better for both of us with time. Your employer sounds awesome, I really need to find a job but not even sure where to begin since I haven't worked in two years...stupid alcohol. Hope you feel more rested soon!