Notices

does opening up to someone help in the long run ?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

does opening up to someone help in the long run ?

Any input would be helpful....I always feel like when I open up to someone Im burdening them. Like I cant take the weight on my shoulders so Im going to put it on someone else. I know someone that is a drug addict and an alcoholic and has been in recovery for 5 to 6 years. I need to talk to someone that gets it. But I cant get over the fact that I feel like Im burdening them....If and when you opened up did it help you in the long run ?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure they would be more than happy to give you support.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't opened up to many but the ones I have, have totally helped! Good luck in whatever you decide!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely think reaching out to someone, someone with the kind of recovery you want, is helpful

D
Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Actually I have found that when someone talks to me about what's bothering them they are actually helping me. If I can help someone by sharing my experience, strength, and hope about recovery or a situation --that's both a miracle and a blessing.

As far as opening up to another person, yes it did help. Keeping all that stuff to myself was keeping me sick. We are only as sick as our secrets. Letting them go by talking with a trusted person definiely helped lighten the load.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

A lot of folks feel better about themselves, even respected, when we open up to them. They're happy to know that they have our trust. And many people are willing to help.

Listening is an art, and not a standard feature found in the owner's manual. Trouble comes when we're not good at identifying who will be welcoming and caring, and who will be dismissive and critical. When we choose the latter, this reinforces that part of ourselves that's willing to believe that people are hurtful and generally aren't willing to help, making it easier to avoid talking about our fears the next time around.

It's worth it to bear in mind that some people can feel flooded when we share our confidences with them, and that they may also experience fatigue from "holding" all the fears, conflicts and other difficulties we share with them.