Notices

What's the average length of time before a relapse?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's the average length of time before a relapse?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any figures on the average length of time people abstain before they relapse?

Is there a certain period where if you can stay sober for that long your chances of a never drinking again significantly increase?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MTD

I for one go for about a week. Then give in the call of alcohol. I think everyone is different some stronger but I will not give up. The first step is to admit the problem and stop drinking. If its only a day, a week or a life time at least you are trying and don't give up. Good luck in your search for sobriety!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Chances of being sober increase significantly after one year
Old 08-03-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know that the first two years are the most critical, with the PAWS symptoms anyway. And for establishing new habits and changing lifestyle...

But anyone can pick up their DOC again, and at any time... but that goes without saying. We all know it happens, even to the ones with significant sober time.

What I've read is that around 47% (so, let's just say 50%) relapse before a years time period. I've also read that up to 90% relapse within a four year period. But there is no conclusive or definitive evidence of this, because there are multiple types of studies, and so the studies always have their own limitations and biases inherent.

But those are pretty high numbers, you have to admit.

I've read that those who get help and try to change their lifestyle seem to relapse less, and less severely. Also, women seem to have a better chance (according to some studies) because it may be that they are more likely to attend group counseling... and this may be partially true, as I have seen mostly women attending my continuing care group.

It's thought that addiction is a chronic disorder, meaning multiple relapses seem to be the norm. But relapse isn't "part of it" meaning you aren't guaranteed to relapse, there are people who never do... so it is possible to stop once and stay stopped. It's common to think of relapse as some sort of excuse, but it just isn't.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Chances of being sober increase significantly after one year
I'm only on 44 days but would love to be able to do a year. I might set this as a goal - although might be thinking too far ahead.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I realise I can't rest on my laurels with this disease and need to address the problem on a daily basis. A max of 6 months total abstinence in 50 years are stats that scare me.

Alcohol free 85 days.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I m glad you asked that question because that was very similar to my post when I first joined last week because I haven't had a drink for 2 years 2 months and at the moment can NOT stop thinking about it !!!! So I was wondering if 2 years was a bit of a low time ??? Any way I joined SR and have had a lot of help and encouragement from people who know and this has helped a lot xx I suppose really everything depends on circumstance--how you feel and there is no time frame!! I would hate to give in and let myself down and also my husband and grown up children who are sooo proud of me xxxx
Old 08-03-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

700 days of one day at a times and no plans to relapse yet .

Every day is new and a different challenge , be persistant and tenacious .

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-03-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can I ask anyone what PAWS means please?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im off to investigate !!!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What I have read says 2 years to get your mind right. And 5 years for relapse to be minimal. I think you don't have to relapse at all. Hugs.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DS777 View Post
Can I ask anyone what PAWS means please?
Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Google Terence Gorski. He has an awesome book that describes and delineates PAWS, entitled Staying Sober. I read it the first month I got sober, while I was in IOP.

A syndrome is just a set of symptoms that tend to occur together.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh dear I think I did that wrong---- I ended up with Dogs for the disabled !!! group Paws !!! Oh well would somebody tell us properly please ! x
Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

PAWS post acute withdrawal symptoms. These are lingering hangover-type symptoms beyond the initial ones. Google it. It says it lasts up to 2 years. And it did for me at times. Do not let this discourage you at all. It is much better than the drinking life. Hugs.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ooo THANKS Soberjennie I will look for that -great x
Old 08-03-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks SoberJennie. Another question now!!!! Sorry. What does IOP mean?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

And thanks pinkdog aswell ! I m really interested in that .. I ll look -- Ta x
Old 08-03-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbillyd View Post
I'm only on 44 days but would love to be able to do a year. I might set this as a goal - although might be thinking too far ahead.
That was how I felt.
At first I wanted a month, then 2 months, then 6 months. Then I decided I wanted a year.

I still took it day by day though.

People used to ask me, so does that mean you will not be drinking when we go here? Or will you not have a drink to celebrate my birthday? What about Christmas?

To be honest it made it all the more easy as people knew how important it was to me that I got my year and they did not want to be the one that made me miss it by encouraging me to drink.

After a year I don't want to go back to the miserable lifestyle I had.
I like this clean, shiny, brand new new one I have got myself with a little bit of hard work and a lot of support from here.

Wishing you the best XXXX
Old 08-03-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh God don't ask me to look Ill find the strangest thing !!! looking forward to finding out too x
Old 08-03-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Terry - read this

PAWS | Digital Dharma

As far as a time when you can feel secure...

I went into recovery knowing I had to succeed, it was this - or death. So I worked hard and kept working.

Not staying sober was not an option.
I think that's the mindset you need to have.

I'm still working on my recovery - not in a 'oh god this is something I have to do' way but because I like me and I like my life, I worked hard for it, and staying sober helps me keep all that.

thats the best security of all I think
D