Notices

Not going out till day 30 reached.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not going out till day 30 reached.

Yet again im back on day one (1/08/2013).
All year i have kept slipping up after about 2 weeks dry so i've decided to confine myself to my home till i get to 30 days sober .
Anyone else tried this method and did it work??

man takes a drink, than the drink takes a drink, and then the drink takes the man.
—Chinese Proverb .
Old 08-03-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have not but you have to do what works for you. While this may prevent you from drinking those 30 days then what? Hitting the 30 day mark doesn't make any of it go away! At day 117 it's still work. But work well worth doing!
Sending you positive energy wishing you the best!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am on day 9 and I am confining myself to my home until I feel I am ready to be in and around situations or environments where people are drinking around me. I don't know how long it will take--maybe 2 weeks, maybe a month, maybe longer...but I am not setting a date per se of so many days sober before I go out.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. I did not confine myself to my home because a big part of me getting sober initially was by keeping myself extremely busy at home and outdoors with exercise, walking, reading and using this website. Anything to distract myself from thinking about drinking. I did however, avoid any places or people that would be triggers for me for the first couple of months until i felt stronger. So i avoided contact with certain friends and did not go near any bars, shops or places that reminded me of drinking. Association is a very powerful thing for me.

Do you know why you keep slipping up after two weeks?. I think you need to establish the reasons why you slip up after two weeks to prevent this from happening again. Do you have a more long term plan?. Even when you get to 30 days you cant stay in your house forever so i think you need to get the right support and a plan in place.

Wishing you well.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I mostly drank at home, so staying home was no help of course. Avoiding triggers can help, but its almost impossible to avoid them completely or
forever. So my main goal was to learn to live without alcohol, rather than just to try avoiding it. That probably means a sobriety plan of some kind.. Read up here on what might be a good fit for you
Old 08-03-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
I am on day 9 and I am confining myself to my home until I feel I am ready to be in and around situations or environments where people are drinking around me. I don't know how long it will take--maybe 2 weeks, maybe a month, maybe longer...but I am not setting a date per se of so many days sober before I go out.
I'm so glad to hear that you are doing whatever it takes to stay away from AL. I don't know if it's ever really safe for me to be around alcohol. I did have a comfortable relationship with it as long as I didn't get too close. I had 10 years sober and then during a messy divorce, someone put a mason jar of white lighting in my pantry cupboard and WHAM...away I went? AL was in the wrong place at the wrong time for me.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey there. I'm sort of following a similar plan myself with good results so far (day 20 of 30). I'm staying down watching movies, reading and cooking. I only go outside for a little exercise in the mornings and for trips to the food store. I find that almost everything causes me to have panic attacks during the acute withdrawal period and so far this method is working very well.

What's the logic of why you're staying at home? Are you staying inside because of anxiety and discomfort or to avoid triggers? What is it that always triggers you at 2 weeks?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I avoided alcohol situations for the first few months. To avoid temptation. It did help me. Just to give myself an added advantage. I think it's good. After sober time and sober living, it didn't impact me the same. I grew stronger. Sobriety rocks.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Confining yourself to quarters might work for 30 days Luke...but what else are you going to do?

what happens on day 31?

Do you have any other plans on how to stay sober?

D
Old 08-03-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In my humble opinion, I'd think that confining yourself to your home would be incredibly depressing and would lead me to want to escape with alcohol or drugs.

Try a support group, if you would.