Notices

New girl from the UK

Old 08-03-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New girl from the UK

Just joined this forum as I've had 'enough' of myself.

Woke up feeling extremely poorly today (physically and mentally) and could barely get out of the house. Made all sorts of promises to myself about not drinking again, took some painkillers, started to feel a bit better and went straight to buy more alcohol

That's why I'm here. I know I need to stop it RIGHT NOW but looking for support from others to give me the impetus to do it (again).

I'm in the UK but don't hold it against me!

My avatar is an illustration by Arthur Rackham for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland; the moment when she becomes inundated by cards falling from the sky. I feel a bit like this.

Looking forward to getting to know you all XXXXX
Old 08-03-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Fidox, you have made a good start by joining this group. You will find lots of information and support. I won't hold it against you that you are in the UK but you people do talk funny, LOL.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOL! Yes some of us do! Thanks for the welcome Lulu X
Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Fidox

I'm in the UK too. there are a few of us around

SR is a great place to start to get sober and continue on the sobriety journey. The monthly class for people getting sober that month was,and still is, a great source of strength and support for me.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. I feel like you today, and I have been here all day. Physically feeling like hell, but all the support here has helped me soooooo much. Still sober today. Glad you're here.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Fidox

There are plenty of us from the UK here

Have you tried getting help to quit before? Spoken to a doctor or tried to contact an alcohol addiction agency? There is a lot of free help available in the UK.

You will find lots of support here anyway x
Old 08-03-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Ready! Thanks for the welcome X

And Blackbird: One of my all time favourite songs X
Old 08-03-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 08-03-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And Hypo!!! Sorry ... trying to reply to other people and missing posts.

I quit before for a year with no help from doctors etc. I'm just not the 'type' to get professional help I'm afraid I kick against it (ludicrous I know) Feel like I should be string enough to do it without that ... and I HAVE done it before.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. You have come to the right place for support if you are trying to quit. How were you able to stay sober for a year before? What may be different now?
We are here for you.
I am from California, so please don't hold that against me
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Fidox, I'm new here too. This wonderful forum has helped immensely. I'm glad you're here!
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome :-)

I know the feeling and also having done it before - hoping this is the last time though.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! I got sick and tired of being sick and tired too. Lots of people here from the UK. You will like this site. It's great.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I did it before because I arrived at a similar 'state' that I'm in now (physically and mentally) My mental state wasn't as bad as it is now though (severe anxiety and depression due to factors in my life out of my control)

Recently been made redundant, under threat of my house being re-possessed, enormous bills I can't pay, single mum (with father of my 10yr old boy being a bully and a control freak - long story, but he IS a nasty piece of work) my dad being diagnosed with cancer, house needing urgent repairs I can't afford .... blah blah blah.

It's hard. I drink to block it out and I'm afraid if I DON'T block it out somehow I'll end up in an acute psyche ward. Ironic, as I USED to work in mental health as an advocate for people on mental health wards.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Those sound like 'excuses' and they probably are. I've been strong enough to get through **** like this before so I should be strong enough again yes???!!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

you sound like you've got an awful lot going on. If you're sober you'll be able to handle it all so much better.

On a practical level,maybe dealing with each thing individually will help. Maybe call your bill suppliers and arrange payment plans. Stepchange are a charity (used to be CCCS) and are fantastic.

With regards to your house, if you are claiming unemployment benefit if you're not already aware, once you've claimed it for 12 weeks you can claim support for mortgage interest,which effectively pays the interest on your mortgage whislt you're out of work.You can put a claim in now as it can take a few weeks to arrange. Can you speak with your bank and move onto interest only or even take a mortgage break. I did this with Halifax some years ago

https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortg...erest/overview

Hope this helps
Old 08-03-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Fidox
Old 08-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fidox View Post
I'm just not the 'type' to get professional help I'm afraid I kick against it (ludicrous I know) Feel like I should be string enough to do it without that ... and I HAVE done it before.
Well there is 'professional' help and there is what most recovery programs consist of and that is help from other alcoholics/addicts. No one else can cut through the crap so well and I think we all have the tendency to kick back against judgements and help from people who we think don't understand. Sometimes the medical help is a necessity though. Withdrawal can be dangerous even if you have done it before safely. Please consider talking to a doctor at least. I found coming here regularly really helped keep me accountable and gave me the motivation to stay sober. Such a simple thing in a way but it really does help to have support from other people x
Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Fidox, you'll get lots of support here.