Notices

Four days down the tube

Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four days down the tube

I was so proud of myself for four days. I had two drinks today and feel like I messed everything up. I want to quit so bad, but my problem is loneliness. And I was in old surroundings. How does one not beat themselves up over this?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just don't beat yourself up. At least you stopped at two drinks, that is a plus. I too have been feeling lonely and tempted, I am on day 17. So today I went to my 3rd AA meeting and got myself a sponsor... I am not alone anymore... You might want to consider a support group, not sure if AA is for you.. But human one on one interaction with someone that knows how hard it is can be the key to helping you stay sober.. Just don't have a third drink tonight...
Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the key is to learn the lessons and them move on - obviously you need to avoid some old friends, old situatuons and old surrounds for a while....if loneliness is a problem, think of things you can do that are social but don't typically involve alcohol - sports, hobbies, movies, going out for coffee.

Volunteering was a great move forward for me - got me out of the house and mixing with people again.

D
Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been thinking about AA, but I'm a very quiet and shy person, so it makes me scared. I'm really awful at talking to people.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm pretty sure they don't make you give a speech...and they work hard at making new people feel welcome - if you think it might help, I'd try it at least once SC

D
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's not even a speech I'm scared of! Just being around people can give me anxiety. I haven't really had many friends since college, so I'm just used to being alone :-(
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I haven't spoken at the AA except for one on one conversations that really all you have to do is listen... You can sit in the corner and listen . I am not ready to share to a group, I feel very emotional and would just start crying ... If you feel it is for you try one meeting..
Old 08-02-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Soberchristy, I have social anxiety disorder so walking into AA meetings is very hard for me. I am alone, or with just my daughter, 99% of the time. I did not say a word at the first 4 meetings I attended and tried a different group tonight. They were very welcoming and I actually contributed to the discussion when my turn came, it was a good experience. If you can just get over that fear I am sure AA can help. Start by just going and listening.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, LuLu. That means so much. I am making a promise to find a meeting within the next week. Hopefully within a few days, but I live an hour out of my city. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

people, places and things will always be a trigger under the right circumstances.. I can no longer hang with people I used to drink with or, I should say that drank like me.

I didn't look to see if you had tried AA or not. It keeps me in contact with people that share common interests with every day life activities.

Not real helpful on slips, I've never had one. I do know, continuing drinking was no longer an option for me. The consequences from my drinking was too great.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

SoberChristy, just never quit trying, I didn't and I'm 3 years sober after drinking for 42 years. You can do this, rootin for ya.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I relapsed after 44 days, had a little more time, then went out for three nights. Tomorrow is day 2 and I am never giving up but I am going to attend meetings every day and devote myself to recovery. We cannot give up.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't give up!
I've relapsed twice last month. Some in my july class didn't. I try to learn from my mistakes and from those shared by others here. It is just a matter of trying and retrying, sooner or later we will manage as long as we don't give up.
And good luck with the meeting. Haven't faced up to my own anxiety to try it myself yet.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I messed up yesterday, but today is a new day. I just have to build off those four days-they felt so good! Your support means so much :-)