Notices

How do I know when I need help

Old 08-02-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I know when I need help

I have been self medicating due to some other personal issues. I am trying to work on the issues and quit drinking but I feel like the other are making it difficult for me to quit. How do I know when I am at the point that I cant do this by myself. I was sober for 8 yrs before w/no AA or rehab or anything but I feel a lot less "empowered"
Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lexica

I guess the easiest way to work that out is to stop and see if you can maintain that, lone wolf style.

If you can, great....if not, then yeah you probably need some help.

I'd see a Dr though in any case. Best to be safe

D
Old 08-02-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was sober for 8 yrs now I cant seem to go 8 days. Im so frustrated with myself.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IMO, when this thought comes up, its a good indicator that ya may be there.

How do I know when I am at the point that I cant do this by myself.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that just asking the question about not knowing if you need help is a sign. There are many resources available for use. Coming to SR is a good place to start.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lexica View Post
I was sober for 8 yrs now I cant seem to go 8 days. Im so frustrated with myself.
That might be your answer then?
Alcoholism does not stay stationary in my experience - it grows.

Once I could binge drink, then leave it till the next weekend...flash forward 10 years and I had to drink everyday.

It's a progression.

D
Old 08-03-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you're asking the question then I think you know the answer.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I finally admitted to needing help AA was the only show in town, with about 200 weekly meetings now. It was tough for me to accept the truth about needing help back then as it is for so many today. Probably part of the ism. It was a lot of involvement and work and took time, that 4 letter word. So far it's worked for a lot of years and is greatly appreciated. In our society there are many that have the attitude of "I want it now". Instant gratification mentality which may work for awhile but for me it's the old and tried that works one day at a time. BE WELL
Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

...I am trying to work on the issues and quit drinking but I feel like the other are making it difficult for me to quit.
I think when I starting blaming others for my difficulties with sobriety, that was a good sign it's time for help.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

I have been self medicating due to some other personal issues. I am trying to work on the issues and quit drinking but I feel like the other are making it difficult for me to quit. How do I know when I am at the point that I cant do this by myself. I was sober for 8 yrs before w/no AA or rehab or anything but I feel a lot less "empowered"
There were a few months before I got sober and it stuck that I was realizing I wasnt happy, that I had lost control, and that I was desperate to get out of that cycle of addiction. I had a few false starts that didnt stick, but I thankfully found the one that did (over 2 years now). You just need to do a life evaluation and take an honest look at yourself and how much alcohol is controlling your life. Is it causing problems? Is it holding you back from truly enjoying all life has to offer? If you answer yes, then its time to change. No time better than today, right?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Hey Lexica, like Dee said, alcoholism is progressive. It gets worse even when we've had significant sober time and even during that sober time. No one can take those 8 years away from you and you can definitely use what you learned both during those 8 years and during your relapse to get and stay sober, but even people who've had decades of sober time and then relapsed sometimes need help to get sober again.