Notices

Day 27: struggling

Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 27: struggling

Today I have been clean/sober for 27 consecutive days. I am really proud of myself and I can't wait to celebrate 30 days in NA, but I feel off balance..

Basically, I am an addict..and now that the drugs are gone I have been looking for anything outside of myself to make me feel "different" or "better", whether it be food, energy drinks/coffee, sex, etc. I just feel like nothings changing, like even though the drugs are gone I still act and feel exactly the same, kindof as if I'm a "dry drunk".

The thought of not having that crutch scares me. Like, I feel like I NEED to do SOMETHING addictivly or I'll just go crazy. But if I don't stop, I may be putting myself at risk for relapse...

I was also considering deleting my account on this online hook-up website, but I don't want to, but I know I should

I know the obvious answer is to just cut the sh*t, but it's hard.

Words of wisdom?
Old 08-02-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's good you're aware of the problem Jake.

I was terrified of living life without my crutches too, but that's really the essence of recovery.

I think you need to remember it's only been a month - I think most of us struggled to face life without a net.

That being said, I think you should definitely not be doing anything that's harmful or dangerous to you and the hook ups fall in that category I think.

Spend some time working on you - thats where the answers are, not outside you but within you

Do you have a sponsor? what do they say?

D
Old 08-02-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jake, I'm glad you posted. I hope that you can learn to sit with yourself and just 'be'. I also hope you get off the 'hook-up' site - it's not going to help you to feel better about yourself.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Do you have a sponsor? what do they say?

D
I haven't talked to my sponsor about it yet /: I've been keeping it a secret, but I know my secrets keep me sick so I'll talk to him today.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

jakec - I'm glad you posted. I'm pretty sure it was more than a month before I wasn't looking for SOMETHING to "scratch that itch". Food, diet sodas, cigarettes, etc.

I also agree that secrets keep us sick, but then again...it took me a while to get honest.

The GOOD news is, you've done GREAT and it WILL get better. I can't give you a timeline, as I've been clean for a while. I can tell you that I thought it would NEVER end, life would NEVER be fun again.

I was wrong

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-02-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Of course it's hard Jake - but you're doing great. There's so much to be proud of. For coming here and reaching out in the first place. Then for admitting you're struggling & being honest about your thoughts. 27 days is a huge accomplishment and you've worked hard. It took me more than a month, too - to begin to calm down and feel happy with the new me. Glad you wanted to talk about this.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't give up now. It will keep getting better but you've got to stick with it.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Deleting the account sounds like a good plan. Hey, at least you are aware of the issues this early on. And congrats on your 27 days!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Jake ,
Sometimes sex can make us feel desired and wanted for a while , sometimes afterwards though i've found it can end up making me feel even more lonely and kinda worthless or empty .
As with a lot of stuff my desire for instant happiness now and the choices i make to acheive that quick fix tend to be counter productive and end up making me more miserable in a slightly longer time frame .

Stick with it

m