Notices

Hello

Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I have always had a problem with alcohol – since I was a teen, well I suffered under my fathers alcohol abuse as I child – so in reality always.

There have been periods where I had it under more control than other periods and even been periods for years where I did not touch it. It has gone out of hand the last year, I am still functioning and somehow disciplined but it has had a huge impact on how I function.

I always get up in the mornings, and struggle through a work day and never touch it before dinner time, but I am just dividing my day between my addiction and the hangover. It attenuates everything and I am not of any sensible worth to my surroundings this way.

It is an optimistic name I have chosen – it is not because I am arrogant. It just has to stop now, I have to get this under control.

I am on vacation – I have been for a week and I have worked on reducing the amount, I drank 1 beer today, and that has to be the last.

I have 9 days before I go to work. I will take one day at the time – not much else to do.

I will start the day with run to the beach and a swim, I have done that this week and it always helps, me at least, to start the day with a commitment.

I am doing this alone (probably not recommended) but it is how I am.

It will help to have some witnesses – I thought maybe this forum could help me there.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. Good for you for realizing you have a problem and coming here.
You will find loads of support and warm, friendly people who are/have struggled with the same thing.
Personally, AA works for me. I was terrified to go and showed up drunk to my first meeting. I was still welcomed with open arms. My initial thought was that AA could help me "calm down" aka "control" my drinking.
I realized soon after that controlling is impossible and I must abstain. Meetings and the 12 Steps work for me. It is quite miraculous. Not only have I abstained from alcohol for a while, I have no desire to drink alcohol or do drugs and my life has changed completely for the better.

any questions, feel free to PM me.

thuggy
Old 08-02-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! You'll find a lot of support here. I've been sober over three years now with the help of my counselor and this site. I hope we can help you as much.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. This is a great place to get support. WE do recover.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Soberhawk, I couldn't bring myself to go the AA route, so felt I could only do it alone. Then I found this place. Not only did i get all the support and advice I needed in the early days ( more than 1 day one) but I have found giving support and advice here now that I am a little further down the line, maintains my own sobriety. I would advice sticking around for a while see how you like SR, there are so many threads and forums, you are bound to find somewhere you feel like spending some sober time. Good luck